Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Lan to wlan to lan

My laptop is hooked up to our office lan wirelessly. I want to connect an ethernet device (not wireless but IP addressing fully configurable) to my laptop so that i can then see the device elsewhere in my office. Is this possible? I have been playing with IP addresses with no luck so far.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lan to wlan to lan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lan to wlan to lan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What sort of device do you want to connect?

In reply to: Lan to wlan to lan

A printer or NAS drive perhaps? Maybe if you explain what you're wanting to do. You can certainly connect an Ethernet cable to your NIC jack and to another device. To get them working together, they both need IP addresses which you will probably need to do statically.

Collapse -
An industrial Variable speed drive (VSD)

In reply to: What sort of device do you want to connect?

Hi Steven,
I have a VSD which has an inbuilt http page which i can bring up on my laptop. However from other stations on my network it is not accessible. If I bridge(using XP) my wireless and local are connection (broadcom) then the device is pingable, but not accessible by my laptop or the broader network.

Collapse -
Only thought off the top of my head

In reply to: An industrial Variable speed drive (VSD)

Is help from your IT dept. an option? I would think it could be wirelessly bridged directly to the network. If your network's router has some addresses reserved for static assignment, I'd think you could configure it that way and create a link to it in your browser.

Collapse -
I am the IT dept.

In reply to: Only thought off the top of my head

We are a small automation company (4 people). If i crack this we can implement the concept more broadly on our systems. Bridging seems like a route to take but when i do this it my wireless indicates it is connected, but is unable to connect(to the other network computers and the internet). Is this an ip addressing issue of the bridge that I have now created?

Collapse -
I'll presume the device you want to connect cannot be wired

In reply to: I am the IT dept.

Wire would be best but you lose portability of that's of importance. I'm not sure that bridging through your laptop can be easily done. Frankly, I've never tried that other than to create an AP from another PC. It would seem best to connect it directly to the whole network than require a dependency on another machine. Bridging to router should not be that hard. You need two capable devices and create an association between them. You can set up your DHCP server (generally your router) to provide some addresses dynamically but reserve a range for those that need fixed addresses. I'll be limited in what I can offer in the way of specifics as I've only done this (minimally) with printers as single devices. It works with these.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!