Computer Help forum

General discussion

lan settings for ibm lenovo thinkpad

by 194659 / August 30, 2010 10:51 PM PDT

Could someone please help me with LAN settings on my lenovo thinkpad x60s. I am getting comfirmation from the bigpond wireless settings and the LAN settings saying i am connected with 100% signal strength. i cannot open internet explorer. not even the thomson gateway or bigpond.com will come up. I know it is a configuration problem but i seem to be missing something. i hope someone can advise me. cathy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lan settings for ibm lenovo thinkpad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lan settings for ibm lenovo thinkpad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Operating System?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 3:57 AM PDT

It would sure help us if we knew the operating system on the computer...

Have you tried using a different browser such as the free Firefox below? It may be a problem with Internet Explorer but there's no way to know till you try something else.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html?t=48163.3

Also, have you checked your computer for malware? If not, please download, install, update, then run a full system scan with both free malware removal tools below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Hitman Pro 3.5

And when you're done, check your LAN settings in Internet Explorer like this:

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
lan settings for ibm lenovo thinkpad
by 194659 / August 31, 2010 10:20 AM PDT

Thank you for your prompt reply. MYy desktop is running windows7 and my laptop xp professional. I have already gone into internet options in internet explorer and unchecked the LAN settings. I have now, also, downloaded the files you suggested and will send the application to my usb stick and install them on the laptop. I will get back to you when i have completed this. Thank you for your help. Regards, Cathy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!