Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

LAN not found with new MX 140 dell

by Orage_de_feu / February 27, 2006 11:07 AM PST

I just unpacked my mx 140 - wireless b/g - 1.86 P/M - 1gig - 80 g hard d. Broadcom 10/100 ethernet - I will use this extensively on the road where ethernet cables are still required, but when I unplug my ethernet cable ( working fine ) from my desktop it cannot locate my LAN on the laptop .. I get constant messages saying windows cannot locate my IP - I just plugged my desktop in when I got it last month and had no problems - but this is now 6 hours of frustration and I am totally stumped.. FYI - my wireless works fine.. I would appreciate any assistance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LAN not found with new MX 140 dell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LAN not found with new MX 140 dell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
please clarify
by linkit / February 27, 2006 1:54 PM PST

Not sure what a mx 140 is.
Do you mean a ''Dell XPS M140'' notebook computer?

I assume you are running a fully updated (Windows Update) version of Windows XP? Correct?

It cannot locate my LAN on the laptop....
Is this a home network? What hardware do you have (wireless-g router, cable modem, DSL modem, combination modem/router, etc)? Model numbers help.

Collapse -
please clarify-no LAN on M140
by Orage_de_feu / February 27, 2006 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: please clarify

Thank you for your response.. It is the M140 - I am using a Westell modem for Verizon DSL the model number is 2100 the model name is WireSpeed. I have been using this same equipment for 1 + years on my desktop. Just plugged and go, however my new laptop will not connect with the modem. I am using Windows MCE... THe owners manual speaks nothing of this problem - THank you.

Collapse -
So You're Simply Trying To Connect To The Net..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 11:51 PM PST

..using a wired connection from your laptop..(It originally sounded like you were trying to connect to a home network (LAN).

If your only problem is connecting to the net with the ethernet cable, try disabling all firewalls on the laptop. It may have the Windows Firewall enabled and a secondary firewall from Norton or McAfee preinstalled. (I believe the Westell modem also has a NAT firewall. You might try temporarily disabling it using the desktop computer to see if that helps also.)

Next, make sure the ethernet card is recognized in the DEvice Manager. If it is, then visit the ethernet card manufacturer's website and download/install an updated ethernet card driver for your computer. You can check the ethernet card driver information in Device Manager.

If none of that helps, then try downloading and installing the WinsockXPFix utility from the link below:

http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps and let us know more.,

Grif

Collapse -
Do you have a wireless router?
by byker49 / February 28, 2006 12:44 AM PST

You will need a wireless router to connect to your LAN. The wireless router sends a radio signal that your laptop can connect to.

Collapse -
Byker, He's Not Trying Connect Wirelessly...Although..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 1:11 AM PST

...the first post indicates that a wireless connection was made successfully. After checking on the Westell 2100 Wirespeed modem, it's NOT a wireless modem.

Since Bob indicated that he connected wirelessly in his first post, I'm curious how that was accomplished. Maybe a router?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
some diagrams
by linkit / February 28, 2006 3:07 AM PST

You need a wireless router (or a wireless access point) to make a wireless connection to your home network. This will allow you to share your Internet service among all computers that are connected to the network.

Internet ---- DSL Modem ---- Wireless Router ~ ~ ~ wireless computer

KEY:
---- wired
~ ~ ~ wireless
~-~-~ wired and/or wireless

A typical wireless router has 4 ports to make wired connections and the ability to make multiple wireless connections regardless of how many wired connections you have made. Like this:

Internet ---- DSL Modem ---- Wireless Router ~-~-~ many computers

Some Internet Service Providers (ISP) provide a DSL modem that has a built-in wireless router. Like this:

Internet ---- [Modem-Wireless Router] ~-~-~ many computers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.