PC Hardware forum

General discussion

LAN.... "Limited or no connectivity"?

by AuBrEy Online / April 5, 2005 3:31 AM PDT

I have two computers they are both connected via a Cat5e crossover cable. I use for gaming and internet sharing I noticed in my main PC (emachines 390) I get a message "Limited or no connectivity" in a ballon at the bottom right hand corner of my desktop..... the internet wont work for the other PC, nor will games when I start servers so I poped the ADSL modem in my older one. The internet shared fine. I don't think it's a software issue because I have reformatted and it still comes up..... I think the cheap onboard LAN has gave up...... conclusion!

I think I might need a PCI network card, but in the near future I might be adding more computers I don't fancy the idea of wireless, so is it possable to:

- Share my Wanadoo ADSL boardband connection?
- Run the internet on both computers together?
- Run the internet on one computer, incase I need to reboot one (hoster) insted of one dropping then them all! :@
- Prehaps share a hard disk between all PCs!
- Play games on all/both computers LAN or online!
- Not cost alot

I think that's all really. could someone pick me out a kit of things I'll need? I have a perfect working card in my other PC..... could you make it as cheap as possable I'll be buying from Overclockers.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Networking_46.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LAN.... "Limited or no connectivity"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LAN.... "Limited or no connectivity"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think it's a software issue you have reformatted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 4:02 AM PDT

I think it's a software issue because you reformatted and it still comes up..... I think the cheap onboard LAN needs it's drivers as well as the motherboard. Many gave up since Microsoft doesn't install these drivers for us.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Collapse -
TO R. Proffitt: I'm using OEM Windows XP
by AuBrEy Online / April 5, 2005 4:40 AM PDT

(Don't laugh) my PC came with Windows XP Home preinstalled and it's on a restore disc (packed with AOL, Compuserve) the problem was OKAY, but one day it sarted coming up so I reformatted, it was still there the motherboard drivers and already on the OEM disc.

Collapse -
OEM is one version and Restore CDs are another.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 5:40 AM PDT

But in my world, one thing is not the other.

Additional, people accept a Microsoft offered driver and this happens. Don't let this happen to you.

And... The drivers on said CD could be woefully out of date or fail when we update XP, our firewall or other item. This is the joy of our PC.

Bob

Collapse -
No!
by AuBrEy Online / April 5, 2005 5:48 AM PDT

The second I reformatted it came up, even without any updates.

Also what is the difference between OEM and restore?..... is the restore just a mounted version that is decompressed once the disk hits the drive, with adverts and AOL! :@......... and OEM just plain XP CD but it comes with the computer?

Collapse -
Here's a picture.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: No!
http://images.ldlc.com/photosldlc/00/00/41/15/LD0000411543_2.jpg shows a typical OEM XP package and CD.

The disconnected cable could be from a registry setting left over from the prior install (it never was clear how deep that reinstall was) or a true failure.

If the port works, we can turn the message off.

If the port is dead, some 5 to 20 dollar PCI Ethernet card is the cure.

Bob
Collapse -
Nah, don't think.
by AuBrEy Online / April 5, 2005 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a picture.

I can't that being the problem, about the reg...... I think the LAN is broke..... could you pick me a setup? I'd like it to be so is it possable to:

- Share my Wanadoo ADSL boardband connection?
- Run the internet on both computers together?
- Run the internet on one computer, incase I need to reboot one (hoster) insted of one dropping then them all! :@
- Prehaps share a hard disk between all PCs!
- Play games on all/both computers LAN or online!
- Not cost alot

I'm from the UK here so I'll be buying from.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Networking_46.html

Collapse -
Can't tell from this discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Nah, don't think.

I don't know about how that DSL modem is connected. However if it's the usual ETHERNET connection, they you get a ROUTER (the common name for a NAT CAPABLE ROUTER) and you are done.

Just sharing that since linksys, dlink, wown.con and too many other sites detail how to do this, I don't duplicate the instructions here.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.