Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

LAN Laptop wireless no access to other PC's in workgroup

I have three PC all with windows XP pro or home all LAN networked on a D Link router and I have just bought a dell laptop XP home which I have setup a wireless connection and setup a static IP for the dell and it gets internet access and I have changed all the PC to share the same workgroup but the laptop can't access the pc's files and vic versa. It will not show the other PCs in the work group any ideas!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LAN Laptop wireless no access to other PC's in workgroup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LAN Laptop wireless no access to other PC's in workgroup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One word>>>>

In reply to: LAN Laptop wireless no access to other PC's in workgroup

Firewall.

Possibly the number reason for network invisibility.

Collapse -
Something to check

If you set a static IP address in Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) on your laptop, check the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) /Advanced button and the ?WINS? Tab.
1. Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
2. And enable LM Hosts Lookup

Just some basic items to check.
Ron

Collapse -
can they ping?

if yes then try to access the files using start->run->\\<ipaddressof any other computer>\ from the new laptop
while doin this if u r prompted for usernanme and passwoird enter guest for user name and blank password
make sure that guest account is enabled in the other pc on which ur trying to access the files and it has a blank password

if u cant ping check out if all the pc's are in the same class of ip(by checking the subnetmask)
u said that u have given a static one y dont u try giving a dynamic one
also run the network setup wizard in the laptop
and check out nsw.log file for any errors
this should take u through
if they cant ping inspite of having same workgroup,same class of ip then definitely its is a firewall problem

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!