Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

LAN...Connection Speed..What's the Normal Setting??

by tobeach / March 5, 2007 3:25 PM PST

I hope this is the right forum for this question & please forgive the fact that I KNOW NOT of what I post..... Sys Info In Profile.
Internet via Cable modem with d-link hard wired router.

Basically I have a 2 computer set-up at home. 1)XPPRO SP1/ Intel p4 Desktop with Intel Pro 100 VE network connection. This is Master machine and is working fine, normal behavior in all aspects.

When I connect to my LAN connection to go on net, it takes less than 10 seconds and says enabled at 10 MBps. This is what it's always said.
It shares router with only

2) HP Laptop DV 110ca Celeron 1.6 which recently has has software problems (conflicts between AVG AV & Spybot & AdawareSE protectors.
I finally have that straightened out & have got working. Ended up with sys restore back 1 month & new install of AAW. Conflict appears to have involved latest engine update to #446. Have gone back to #441 and all seems well except....

Normally when I connect to LAN with laptop, to go on net, connection takes about 10 seconds and (if I'm not mistaken) also was connected @ 10MBps. Worked just fine. I have used the right click "repair connect" function several times to solve this but it reports OK as at that point I am connected. It says repair successful and contact Admin (me) for further help!
Normally, if I click the repair, it just says repair completed but NOW it pops up a box showing the steps it is taking :4 or 5 items.
Don't know if this is a hint for you.

NOW when I connect, it takes up to a minute + and shows connected @100.0 MBps!!! I often think it's "hung" and right click to "enable" and get reply "connection attempt is already in progress" and when I click OK the connection opens instantly (at 100.0MBps). I believe this to be problem source.
When I go to CP>Network connections on Laptop, it has 3 connections (but I have disabled all but LAN). This shows Realtek as source of connection & When I look further properties>advanced>config for link speed/duplex, I see the enabled is auto negotiate (apparently @ 100.0 MBps) I also see offered various half-duplex/full duplex at 10.0 MBps and suspect one of those is the formerly correct one. The router is set up as Duplex mode if I recall d-links support comment from 1 year ago.

When I try to check on Desktop Computer what it would show (as a hint), when I click Configure on the Intel VE 100, I get message: "You have made changes to this connection, I you proceed these changes will be lost! Do you wish to proceed? Having no idea what should be there, I of course click NO since it's working normally and don't want to compound what is now only the laptops problem.
It doesn't say what or WHEN the "changes" were done (certainly not by me. I haven't changed anything there since initial set-up by pro's at install).

I guess the final question becomes:

Given this set-up, what would seem to be the normal setting in the laptop for 10.0MBps that I should be seeing/using?? Is there another route to take for this?
NOTE: When in same room as Desktop machine, Laptop's on battery as power supply is in living room and power bar is full already with main machine.

Sorry for length of post but tried to include as much as I thought helpful. Ask for what else you need. Thanks for patience & ideas!! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LAN...Connection Speed..What's the Normal Setting??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LAN...Connection Speed..What's the Normal Setting??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) PS:Laptop LAN is Realtek RTL8139/810 Family...:D
by tobeach / March 5, 2007 4:32 PM PST
Collapse -
Just a thought. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 6, 2007 6:56 AM PST

All laptops have a power saving mode that drops power on most peripherals when on battery power. Lower power means slower speed. What does it do when plugged into the power supply?

Collapse -
Hi, Wayne !! Basically No Difference. This Machine Has ..
by tobeach / March 6, 2007 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: Just a thought. . .

always been connected in the computer room for net use and always on battery power. I have all the power saving features disabled as net work only takes max of 10-15 minutes (strictly updating protectors) all other times when active it's on power supply where ever.

I don't know if this is of interest as far as half/full duplex goes, but other than to share router to cable to net, the two machines do not inter-react with each other. I don't transfer files or share printer etc. In fact most of those abilities are disabled as best as I can for security reasons. Any transfer is done via USB storage drives. AV/AS scanned before transfer of course.

The funny part, I think, is that 'tho I sys restored back 1 month, one or 10 months ago the matter of the LAN net connection would have been the same (<10 seconds at(?) 10 mbps). Perhaps it was 100 mbps & I never noticed but I certainly would have noticed this kind of slowness.

Laptop other functions seem at normal speeds and scans (perpetually) as clean of all malware.
I did do a "compress old files" via disk clean up about 2 weeks ago to gain back some HD space (gained about 8% to 63% free) along with defrag & checkdisk/ R for good measure.
Could the compress have included the LAN file since it hadn't changed in year? Could this create slow down in enabling?

I appreciate your thoughts ! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Don't Think This'll Help but....
by tobeach / March 6, 2007 2:37 PM PST

when, on EITHER computer I click CP>Network Connections>My Network Places or View Work group, I have nothing in the responding screen.
To best of my knowledge, this has always been the case. Thought it might make or clear some possible question. Grin

Collapse -
autodetect
by linkit / March 6, 2007 10:24 AM PST

Normal setting should be "Automatic" or "Autodetect." If that doesn't work, then select "100Mbps."

Make sure your router has the latest firmware version.

Collapse -
Thanks for Your Reply, Linkit ! If I Suppose That....
by tobeach / March 6, 2007 2:24 PM PST
In reply to: autodetect

"Auto Negotiate" is the same as auto detect/ Automatic then I guess that setting is not likely the problem. Thanks again! Grin

Collapse -
Here's the deal
by linkit / March 6, 2007 3:23 PM PST

STEP ONE:
Before you do anything else, make sure that you are using the latest network adapter driver and the router's firmware is the latest version.

STEP TWO:
Did you take care of the driver and firmware yet?

HERE'S THE REST:
If your router is capable of 100Mbps connections, then that's the connection speed you want to use. Specifically, you want 100Mbps/full duplex.

I Googled your Intel network adapter on your desktop, and it comes up as a 10/100 model. That means that it is capable of 10Mbps mode and also 100Mbps mode. I will assume that your notebook also has a 10/100 network adapter (I couldn't find your model at HP.com).

In the properties for the network adapter, you can set the "link speed" to Autodetect. That means that it will detect the router's max speed and try to match it.

If Autodetect doesn't get you the 100Mbps/full duplex connection that is desired, then you can try to force that connection speed by setting the link speed to "100Mbps/full duplex" instead of Autodetect.

Autonegotiate (different from Autodetect) may work, but it can be troublesome if the router also set to Autonegotiate, (and if it even supports it). I'd avoid Autonegotiate for now.

Note that a poor quality or damaged network cable can cause a 100Mbps connection to downgrade to 10Mbps. Try a different network cable--one that is known to be good. Other issues can cause problems, but I think that you now have enough settings play with at this point.

Collapse -
Thank you For Your Thoughtful "Deal", Linkit.....
by tobeach / March 7, 2007 3:37 PM PST
In reply to: Here's the deal

Lots of useful information. Since problem seemed to have solved itself
(I can't believe I've had anything to do with it), I'm going to save your post to a text file in my Fix & Clean Computer file for future reference. Very good to have.
Strangely(?), I don't have an "auto detect" or "Automatic" offered in the drop down list of options ONLY "auto-negotiate" (probably a cheap import from Compaq used by HP since the take over).
Sorry about that: The HP is Model "DV1010CA". Canadian specific model.
Guess my eyes were overly tired or I'm just going blind (either is equally likely!). Thanks again for the help! Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Happy to contribute. Glad it's working!
by linkit / March 7, 2007 4:11 PM PST
Collapse -
I DON"T BELIEVE IT!!!!! I Just Brought Laptop....
by tobeach / March 6, 2007 2:50 PM PST

to computer room, booted up on battery, plugged in the cable to the router and decided to update AVG,Spybot & AdawareSE and the connection started up PERFECTLY NORMALLY!!!

Now seems to be working exactly as it always has including < 10 sec connection (@ 100.0 mbps thanks)!

Dam_ Wayne, your telepathic skills are amazing!!LOL!

Thanks to all for viewing & considering my plight!

Guess it's time to create a few more restore points! Grin Sandy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!