PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Lan Card problem

by gen88 / March 3, 2005 11:50 PM PST

My PC doesn't want to detect my Lan Card!Not permanently but i have it for a month it has made 5-6 blocks!I have tried everything-cleaning the slot, changing the slot, cleaning the Card,enabling and disabling of my connection!I always make sure it is installed on the right slot but my pc detects it whenever it wants!The dust is not the reason!and i cannot afford to take it back because i need my Internet connection non-stop!What can i do!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lan Card problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lan Card problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make and Model Number of Card?
by TONI H / March 4, 2005 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: Lan Card problem

and what drivers are you using to install it with? The default Windows drivers or ones from the installation CD, or downloaded drivers that are probably the newest available?

I'm going to make the assumption here that when you refer to 'blocks' you mean it is showing up in safemode Device Mgr that many times....or are you talking about showing 5-6 actual different connections for it in the Network Connections area?

What specifically are the names being listed? I have a LAN connection for my satellite modem and my modem software alone puts three or four different entries by default into the Network Connections area, so more info may be needed by you to determine if this is coming from the card itself or from your ISP...as you probably also have an installation CD from them.

TONI

Collapse -
well here it is
by gen88 / March 4, 2005 12:13 AM PST

The drivers are from the CD i received with the card!Abd "blocks" mean that the green light on the back of the case is not flashing and i receive a note saying-Network cable ubplugged!The card is Repotec but i do not see the exact model written on the box!and i do not know what ISP is!And i use ADSL connection and not a satellite one.

Collapse -
A site for drivers
by TONI H / March 4, 2005 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: well here it is
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-21,GGLD:en&q=repotec

You don't mention what version windows you are using, so as you travel to any of these sites, make sure you get the drivers for the version windows you are using. But before doing anything read the rest of my post, please.

As for the ADSL...that would normally be coming from your phone company, and either they gave you an installation disk that sets up the information the modem needs for the connection to the LAN card...or you don't have all the information from the ISP (your phone company or whoever you use for your internet) to set it up. You will have to call them and have them walk you through doing that if you don't have the installation disk for it.

As for the LAN......the drivers you have appear to be fine, and the message you are getting is that the MODEM you use isn't configured right yet. I get that same type of message for my LAN when my satellite modem is on the fritz due to bad weather here. So your problem appears to actually be the information not being right between the modem and the LAN card itself. I would leave the drivers you have alone for right now and work on the modem instead.

TONI
Collapse -
but
by gen88 / March 4, 2005 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: A site for drivers

Man, i am not deep into these technical stuff but i am not using a modem!because i have access to the Internet and i am also holding the modem in my hands!(As i removed it when i changed the slots):)!So it is obvious i am not aware of what type of internet i am using so i'll explain it as i can.i have a cable and i just have to plug it into my Lan card as no phone is invoved in the whole process!

Collapse -
The CARD is your MODEM
by TONI H / March 4, 2005 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: but

(I was getting the impression from the way you were describing things that you have a separate modem and had to connect it to a LAN card....which is an entirely different device).

What type of CABLE are you trying to connect.....a COAX type for CABLE or an actual TELEPHONE type? Who gave you the card you have in your hand? What company do you use to connect to the internet?

TONI

Collapse -
see
by gen88 / March 4, 2005 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: The CARD is your MODEM

on the cable is written the following "AC net type"And i don't need a modem in order to connect to the internet!Ant i do not think that my provider matters because the problem is not at him i can assure you, because my neighbour uses the sam internet connection!And i live in Bulgaria so i think that you won't be familiar with it but anyway----Visio Net!I am positive that the problem is due to some bad connection with the slot or a software problem or a hardware problem which does not involve the modem or the type of cable i am using!Or the most likely reason is a problem with the Lan Card. And i just need to know whether there is something i can do!And thanks for the cooperation!:)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!