TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Lamp replacement for LCD's and DLP's?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lamp replacement for LCD's and DLP's?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lamp replacement for LCD's and DLP's?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rear projectors mostly have lamps, not flat screen LCDs

In reply to: Lamp replacement for LCD's and DLP's?

I enjoy my Samsung DLP after misfortune with repair just after the one year warranty. Seems repair then made right what wasn't right from the start. DLP lamps are too expensive - often $250-300, but I accept it as DLP was the cheaper method of entry into the world of big screen, new tech TVs.

Mine is nearly 4 years old. Is kept on say, 12 hours a day. Yes, I can tell it's not a bright as new, but I don't feel pressed to replace it in a hurry.

Your call depends on your budget & your needs. I guess you're just getting into this. Read well the c/net introduction into the world of HDTV. Has a lot of info you need. Yes, jargon & information overload lead to confusion & mental chaos. You need to work past that with knowledge so viewing at a showroom doesn't just addle your brain.

I think you need to learn so your overly general question isn't just between the 2 sets you cited. They have more not in common than the closeness of price. You need to better define your individual need.

Post back with more specific request for opinions. And don't overlook real risk as to online sellers. The nextstepplasma outfit is apparently quite new & doesn't have any customer feedback at all at resellerratings.com. I wouldn't consider for a minute dealing with an ouknown entity.

Prices have come down dramatically & I assume will continue to do so.

Collapse -
RE: Rear projectors mostly have lamps, not flat screen LCDs

In reply to: Rear projectors mostly have lamps, not flat screen LCDs

O sorry for the confusion, I've studied CNET's HDTV guides quite thoroughly and looked a lot into this. It came down to those 2 TV's because the DLP sounded like a great deal for a 42" TV (and I've heard alot of good things about DLP), I'm really intrigued by the Samsung however because of CNET's impressive review, the fact they recommend it as the best 32" HDTV on their HDTV buyers guide, and I can get it for a little over a grand (that's including shipping). Someone had told me LCD's need lamp replacements though and I got confused because I thought that was only for projection LCD's.

Collapse -
At a glance both prices look advantageous

In reply to: RE: Rear projectors mostly have lamps, not flat screen LCDs

Just playing a hunch you'd be better pleased with the larger screen. Around 42" is more or less now the desired standard size that 21" was 30 years ago. HDTVs advantage is much more apparent in the larger sizes. By my opinion, very restricted possible awareness of the higher resolutions in as small as 32".

Collapse -
I DONT CARE ABOUT LAMP REPLACEMENT

A year ago I wanted either a front project system or the bigest rear projection set on the marked. I finally bought a 72" d.l.p. set. beautiful brite crisp and tons of color for a very affordable price. Well after 4 month lamp blew . sent me an updated lamp for free and gave me an extra year on the lamp warrenty. A lamp for my set costs $200 and if it gives me 3 years of service $200 is not bad.+ 72" really gives a true movie theater experience happy new year stewee

Collapse -
Lamps and losers

First let me comment on lamps. I have a 62" Mitsubishi DLP and the bulb went out on me after one year. If you buy the bulb from Mitsubishi or a retailer you will pay $250-$300+. If you get the serial number you can find some good deals on ebay. I found a replacement for about $160.

Second, I am starting a personal crusade to warn people about nextstepplasma.com and to do thorough research on retailers with deals too good to be true. I only did research on the model TV that I was looking for and the best price. Had I done 5 more minutes of research and googled nexstepplasma.com, I would have found reviews from a lot of dissatisfied customers.

Here is their scam: Using various search engines you will find that nextstepplasma.com will have the lowest price on product and shipping. You will then place your order. After a day or two you will go online to check on the status of your order. You order will appear to be "pending". You will then call them to see what the problem is. This is when they inform you that your item is a refurb BUT it's actually brand new, they just bought it from another supplier and had to send it back to the factory to make sure it was new. (If they buy it new, why do they have to send it back to make sure it's new?) Oh, and they try to upsell you on an extended warranty too. Later, you will check back on the status of your order and the total will be higher (mine was $50). When you call them back to dispute they will say that it is a mandatory insurance charge to go with the shipping. They will also claim to have recorded the previous conversation when you called about your pending order and that you agreed to the added charge (I didn't). When you ask to hear the recorded phone call they will say it is impossble for them to play it over the phone to you (at least my conversation couldn't be played back to me). They say that it can only be heard through their headset. If you demand for them to cancel your order they will split the difference of the mandatory insurance because it will cost them double shipping to get the product back. I haven't seen my refund yet. I will be in contact with VISA's fraud department if I don't see it soon.

To a certain degree this is partly my fault. It may be an expensive lesson for me, but I hope that others can benefit from lesson.

Buyer beware of nextstepplasma.com !!!!!!

Collapse -
HDTV LCD LAMPS...........

In reply to: Lamps and losers

I KNOW SONY is including an EXTRA one them with certain BRAVIA LCD models.

JUST checked http://sonystyle.com

No longer the free lamp. Oh well.

river.

Collapse -
HUGE PICTURE SIZE AND LAMPS

In reply to: Lamps and losers

I dare you to find a 72" plasma t.v. for $4200 or anything else for that matter. Thats why I bought a 72" d.l.p. set. I love it almost like an I-MAX theater.ha ha you can have your postage stamp size t.v.s I dont have to strain my eyes to see the fine detial $200 for a new lamp is no problem for me steweee

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.