Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Lagging when surfing for chatting

by Ahhh_there_u_r / May 2, 2005 11:12 PM PDT

hello everyone, i am running a AMD 2600+ CPU,and GA-7VT600-P-L (Rev 1.x) MB (updated to the latest BIOS)
i had 512 meg of ram (ULTRA 512MB DDR Memory 400MHz PC3200)untill a few months ago, and my system was running great, i installed another 512 (ULTRA 512MB DDR Memory 400MHz PC3200) recently, and it was running great, untill a few weeks ago,when i started to see a noticable lag when i surfed or chat,and a few random reboots, i haved scanned for anti virus and i am clean,(or so my software says) i have scanned for adware with about 6 diffrent programs, and they have found nothing but the basic cookies,also ran SANDRA sis soft and they verified that both sticks of ram matched, for the life of me i can figure out why i am getting noticable lag, i should not be lagging with 1GIG of ram, i check my DSL connnection speed , and i am over the 2mbits barrier acording to dlsreports, so i dont think its a connection issue,that just leave a paging, virtual mem issue "I THINK", should i just let windows manage paging & vitual mem, or shoud i set it at a certain level,they are now set so windows manages it now, also can anyone reccomened optimal setting if i need to set them, thank for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lagging when surfing for chatting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lagging when surfing for chatting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No one answered?
by funkid7 / June 14, 2005 12:13 AM PDT

1.5 times the ram= 1000mb ram means set virtual to 1500 mb of HDD mem. Windows Xp will manage it all right; right down to 384mb and that setting is way too low for graphic intensive software. I am a graphic artist and printing press op. I have this same issue with many programs I use.
My ram is 1gb and my Virtual mem is 2 gb. and I still run low on mem with big jobs.

Collapse -
I see; just posted, eh.
by funkid7 / June 14, 2005 12:15 AM PDT

DUH, sorry.

Collapse -
More details would be helpful.
by aprilmay96 / June 14, 2005 5:12 AM PDT

Like any new updates or an new software installed? If nothing was installed, you could try a system restore to when it was working fine. Try taking out the new memory stick and then see if there is any difference. Try the online virus scan from http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Test if the issue is occuring in Safe mode with Networking (We get into it by rebooting the computer and then tapping the F8 key before the Windows XP splash screen). Try these steps and tell us what happened.

Collapse -
You gave lots of good info, but
by funkid7 / June 14, 2005 11:10 PM PDT

What about videocards memory: shared mem or on the card? Maybe it's driver needs the new ram info? Yeah; I have gotten lag from installing certain updates or new applications, especially over the net dl's. I am no expert, but would love to see if, someone can solve this for you.

Collapse -
Taking a step back I see a heat issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2005 11:29 PM PDT

The clue to me is the aging of the parts, the slowdown and the few random reboots. What happens is the heatsinks fill with lint, the fans slow and parts inside increase in temperature as the electrolytic capacitors age.

A simple test is to leave the cover off and see if it gets better.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!