Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Carlos Beltran......

by Josh K / October 19, 2006 11:04 PM PDT

...AKA the Alex Rodriguez of the National League. How can you strike out looking -- LOOKING!!! -- in a situation like that???? Two outs, bottom of the 9th, your team down two runs, bases loaded and he stands there watching strike 3 whizz by???

I'm a Yankee fan but I'm also a Willie Randolph fan and his team should have pulled that one out. Oh well, on to the World Series where I'll be rooting -- against all odds and common sense -- for the Cardinals.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ladies and gentlemen, meet Carlos Beltran......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ladies and gentlemen, meet Carlos Beltran......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i saw the ending
by Mark5019 / October 19, 2006 11:11 PM PDT

and still dont beleave he watched it.

but as ive never played real baseball i guess he froze ?

Collapse -
He was fooled, he was sitting on fastball
by Rick S / October 20, 2006 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: i saw the ending

and the pitcher came with a curve. To me it was a gutsy pitch. 2 out in the bottom of the 9th bases loaded and a full count on Beltran. I think anybody watching thought he was coming with heat cause he had to throw a strike. Pitcher went curve ball and got it in there and Beltran had no chance.

Collapse -
It wasn't a full count, it was a 3-pitch strikeout
by Josh K / October 20, 2006 12:54 AM PDT

That curveball came on an 0-2 pitch. There was no excuse for not taking a hack at it, even just to foul it off and keep the at-bat going.

ESPN Pitch by Pitch

Collapse -
that's what I get for flipping channels
by Rick S / October 20, 2006 1:19 AM PDT

I'd have bet money it was a full count too.

He should have been looking for the curve then.

Collapse -
Even on a full count....
by Josh K / October 20, 2006 1:26 AM PDT

....in that particular situation he should have been trying to make contact with pretty much anything other than a wild pitch. He shouldn't have been sitting on anything.

I guess it's situations like that that bring out someone's lack of experience in postseason play. A single would have tied the game.

Oh well, I'm not a Met fan anyway. It's just a shame to see a season end because of one poorly executed at-bat.

The Cards really don't have a prayer against the Tigers, but strange things have been happening throughout this postseason so who knows.

Collapse -
there's no doubt it was up to him
by Rick S / October 20, 2006 1:44 AM PDT

to protect the plate and he has no excuse it just looked like he was fooled.

Thank you Mets for crashing and burning.

Collapse -
And Willie Randolph gets no blame
by gearup / October 20, 2006 2:59 AM PDT

for being so rigid he never uses a squezee play? Not in the season or the play offs. And what a stupid move using Floyd to pinch hit! Also the man who got the Mets to game seven has the same name Carlos Beltran!

Collapse -
You're right about him pinch-hitting Floyd
by Josh K / October 20, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

I don't know the Mets' roster that well but according to the announcers there were a couple of guys on the bench who knew how to bunt, which is what the Mets could have used at that point. There were no outs and all they had to do was move the runners over and hopefully (with the next batter) tie the game up. And did they have any other outfielders they could have used rather than Shawn Green, who contributed nothing and made all kinds of blunders?

The Mets do get credit for making it to game 7 at all without three of their starting pitchers.

Beltran's a very good player but that at-bat showed off his lack of postseason experience IMO.

Collapse -
oh and
by Rick S / October 20, 2006 12:10 AM PDT

Collapse -
Hoping for a quick sweep...
by EdH / October 20, 2006 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: oh and

I don't care which team. The season is way too long as it is.

Collapse -
Too long?
by duckman / October 20, 2006 4:58 AM PDT

Yes it is. Would love to see 145 game season, no domes, no astro turf, no National Leauge

Collapse -
And AAA teams ...
by Evie / October 20, 2006 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Too long?

... fielded by revenue sharing Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -
No National League, LOL
by Josh K / October 20, 2006 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Too long?

Somehow I don't see that happening. Happily, astroturf has all but disappeared. Only a few ballparks still have artificial turf and they've mostly switched to the new kind that looks (and supposedly plays) more like real grass.

I think retractable domes make sense in some places, e.g. Toronto and Minnesota where it's quite cold until well into the season, and would make sense in some places that don't currently have them, like Florida where it rains quite a lot. Some domes are just awful though. The one in Minnesota is quite notorious because it's off-white or something close to it and it's hard to track fly balls.

Collapse -
Can you get a hit off a major leauge pitcher
by duckman / October 20, 2006 4:19 AM PDT

3 out of 10 at bats?

Collapse -
If I could.....
by Josh K / October 20, 2006 4:29 AM PDT

...(and if I was a lot younger) I'd be making the kind of money he makes to do that. Two of the three strikes in that at-bat were called. I remember a great at-bat by Paul O'Neill (vs. the Mets in the 2000 World Series) in which he fought off pitch after pitch, reaching out to foul them off, until he drew a walk (I think it was a 10 or 11-pitch at-bat). It made the difference in the game and it wasn't a do-or-die at-bat like this was. Beltran just didn't approach it the right way.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?