Storage forum

General discussion

LaCue external hard drives not recognised

by Spacexcape / August 4, 2009 6:57 PM PDT

Hello

This is a very strange situation, but I have 2 x Lacie Hard drives - 2 x d2 and 1 x Lacie Porche and all three drive are not recognised now. I have tried two different computer, have updated all software, and have tried different Firewire and USB cables and different sockets on computer. The Porche drive was the time machine for a G4 running OS 10.4 and the other two were back ups of important data. Since then I have replaced the G4 with a Power Mac and wanted to retrieve the G4 back up onto it or onto the iMac.

Any help appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LaCue external hard drives not recognised
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LaCue external hard drives not recognised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since all failed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2009 10:26 PM PDT

You didn't ask but there are 2 questions that are common when an owner has a failed drive.

1. Can I get my files back?
2. Can I fix it?

If a person wants the files they would never limit themselves to Apple only machines. Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?messageID=3080838&tag=forums06;posts#3080838 where we used Linux to salvage files off the LaCie.

If a person wants it fixed (which is NOT to be confused with data recovery steps) we look at the devices and find these are made up of case, drive and sometimes a power brick. It is now a simple matter of replacing which of the failed parts.
Bob

Collapse -
Lacie drives
by Spacexcape / August 7, 2009 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Since all failed.

Hello

I did not ask the questions because it was fairly clear that they were not relevant. If all three Lacie drives are not working at same time, then one has to assume that there is a fault with the connection/computer.This may or not be fixeable.

I have purchased a power driven USB hud and still the iMac will not read the drive. However, I have managed to get the Porche working now - nothing explainable.

of course this is not my primary back up! Please only answer if you have something to contribute and are not fluffing up your ego!

Collapse -
So you don't want the data or the drives?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2009 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Lacie drives

I read your top post and all replies and it seems that you are telling me that files and drives are not the subject. If so, what is your question?

I think it might be "Do external drives fail?" If that's the new question the answer is yes. Just look at this forum and the posts here and you see those failures populate the boards.
Bob

Collapse -
Lacie hard drives
by Spacexcape / August 7, 2009 8:22 PM PDT

Hello

Of course the files and the drives are the problem! How obvious could that be?

However, I do not think that the drives have 'failed':

(a) the Porche has not been recognised on the G5 after I re-installed the operating system/wiped the hard drive and updated software.
(b) the drives are most definitely attempting to communicate with the iMac but as a new machine I am not going to wipe the hard drive and reinstall OS. I have installed software updates for the Lacies and that has not helped. I have also purchased a power driven USB hud.
(c) I suppose I expected someone to say "oh that happened to me and when I did .... to my computer the problem was solved". I'll try some diagnostic tests. Fpor sure I will never buy Lacie again!

Thank you but nothing has been helpful to me so far and I don;t think my question was particularly complicated. I will find somewhere else to ask.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2009 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Lacie hard drives

I offered how we recover both files and repair the drives yet your replies seem to tell me you are looking for something that does not use the usual fixes. That is, once in awhile a member will demand that such issues be fixed without replacing a failed case, drive, cable, power brick or doing anything that involves using other software.

I'm unsure how this could have upset you but I have and I apologize for the industry that had let us all down.
Bob

Collapse -
problem solved
by Spacexcape / August 9, 2009 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I thought I would just post that the problem was solved as it might be useful to all those Lacie drive users who get as frustrated as I did!
It turned out that the 'brick' (the power cable) was faulty. The problem that I had was that I tried all three drives using the same power cable! When I switched to another cable I was able to read all three drives and have now transferred the data onto an Iomega prestige desktop drive but am still able to use the Lacies too.

Cheers
Alison

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?