Laptops forum

General discussion

Labtop won't start up. different than Jasont1026

i was on my labtop, and all the sudden it just turned off, and i cannot turn it on. So i tried with a new power cord, and i can see the green light on the power cord until i push the power button on the labtop. Of course, the labtop won't start. Is this what people call, 'your labtop just died, so buy a new one'???
if not, what might be the problem? i didn't see any burnt marks on the motherboard.
thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Labtop won't start up. different than Jasont1026
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Labtop won't start up. different than Jasont1026
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it's 3 or more years old, yup.

In reply to: Labtop won't start up. different than Jasont1026

But look at the detail provided. It's like calling a shop and saying my car is dead. They won't help.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: If it's 3 or more years old, yup.

yeah, i had the labtop about 4, or 5 years.

phil

Collapse -
I'll be blunt.

In reply to: thanks

Here's the forum note. You may have missed it.

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Given the details so far, I don't have much to work with. If the make/model and details are not known then it's a simple issue of getting an estimate to get it fixed. For that you take it to some service counter or drop notes to ikenfixit.com or notefix.com

-> My recurring data saving trick is to put the dead laptop's hard disk into an USB hard disk enclosure so the owner can get their files out.

Bob

Collapse -
ah

In reply to: I'll be blunt.

i usually don't get those indirect sentences. i like when people are staright forward, just say the point. i don't like when people sugar coat things. haha, anyway

i own, or owned Dell Inspiron 600m about 4, or 5 years. Windows XP SP2. One of my friends also had very similar problem, who also owned one of Inspiron models more than 5 years (same OS) and his labtop was dead. althogh i do not know the model name. Long story short, even though the two cases were very similar, but not identical. So i still had a fools hope. But your answer assured me. I should have been more clear when i replied your comment. I apologize about that.

phil

Collapse -
oh

In reply to: I'll be blunt.

and thanks.

phil

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.