HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Question

LA40530 LCD: When playing movies from USB stick, no surround

by MikeMarsian / June 3, 2011 3:31 AM PDT

My Samsung LCD is connected by digital optical cable to DVD/HomeCinema (combined) system for sound (and HDMI for video). And when I play DVD's everything is great. But when I try to play movies from USB on TV, I don't have surround sound - just get the usual stereo.

I would apreaciate any help.
DVD/Home-Cinema is Sony's DAV-DZ330

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LA40530 LCD: When playing movies from USB stick, no surround
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LA40530 LCD: When playing movies from USB stick, no surround
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This one was answered before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 3:56 AM PDT

There were a few causes. One was that on some models, surround only works from some sources. The other reason is that most video files I find are simple stereo.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanx for the reply
by MikeMarsian / June 4, 2011 5:19 AM PDT

well in my case, I tested on several movies, all of them Blu-Ray rips, that when played from DVD have great surround.
Can you confirm that my model doesn't support surround from USB? The manual doesn't say anything about it.

Collapse -
Blu-ray rips? Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2011 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanx for the reply

I'd go back and play it directly from the BD to see if that works. If that works then you have a mystery to talk to the folk you bought the ripper from.

Support for BD ripped content is going to be hard to find.
Bob

Collapse -
Not just BD-rips
by MikeMarsian / June 7, 2011 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Blu-ray rips? Why?

It was just an example Happy Any digital movie I tried to play from the USB doesn't have surround. MKV, xvid, divx, avi - all from DVD rips (or BD rips) have the same issue.
I'm really lost here. Are there any other forums you would recommend trying?

Collapse -
The ones that discuss HDCP, DMCA, HDMI and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Not just BD-rips

But the issue is too well discussed that some source won't pass more than stereo. I hope you understand that most of this is about "the dang rules" of TPTB and their hope of protecting content.

I'm sure you know more than we'll discuss here about how this all is creating questions like yours.

The only fix I know of is to connect video source to the home theater thing like the Onkyos and then on to the HDTV.

Your setup is one that fails for myriad of four letter reasons. It's not busted but was made that way to hobble and cripple rips and more.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.