General discussion

KVM problems and headaches--never seen before problem

I have two computers, an old hp pavilion and a new emachine T3830. I have installed a Belkin KVN two port switch so that I can use one new hp f1703 monitor. Sounds simple right? Well, when the kvm is set up, the monitor works well with the old hp, but when toggled to the new emachine, the monitor blinks back and forth from the screen view to a black screen.

I have switched the cables to see if the problem is the cable but when cables are switched, the problem only happens to the emachine. When the emachine is started seperately, the monitor works fine. only when the hp is turned on does the problem start again on the emachine.

Well, emachine says it is a Belkin problem and Belkin says it is an emachine graphics card problem. I am running windows xp on both machines and have tried reloading new drivers for the card and the monitor. I have also tried to change the monitor settings as wel as the refresh rate.

This also has happened with the IOgear two port kvm switch.

So, what can be done? New PCI card, maybe?

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: KVM problems and headaches--never seen before problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: KVM problems and headaches--never seen before problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info