General discussion

Kosovo: Clinton 'lied,people died'?

The White House ? finally ? began pushing back against irresponsible charges that Bush "lied" to the American people in making the case for war.

The garrulous Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., made many "Bush lied" accusations: "There was no imminent threat. This was made up in Texas, announced in January [2003] to the Republican leadership that war was going to take place and was going to be good politically. This whole thing was a fraud." And Kennedy later intoned on the Senate floor, "Before the war, week after week after week after week, we were told lie after lie after lie after lie."

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., said, "... [T]he administration intentionally misled the country into war." Anti-war protester Cindy Sheehan, speaking to the president in a TV ad, said, "You were wrong about the weapons of mass destruction. You were wrong about the link between Iraq and al-Qaida. You lied to us, and because of your lies, my son died."

Question: If Bush "lied," did former President Clinton "lie" about Kosovo?

Clinton, in a March 24, 1999, Oval Office broadcast, explained his military action in Kosovo:

We act to prevent a wider war, to defuse a powder keg at the heart of Europe, that has exploded twice before in this century with catastrophic results ... By acting now, we are upholding our values, protecting our interests and advancing the cause of peace ... Ending this tragedy is a moral imperative. It is also important to America's national interests ... Do our interests in Kosovo justify the dangers to our armed forces? ...

I am convinced that the dangers of acting are far outweighed by the dangers of not acting ? dangerous to defenseless people and to our national interests ... I have a responsibility as president to deal with problems such as this before they do permanent harm to our national interests. America has a responsibility to stand with our allies when they are trying to save innocent lives and preserve peace, freedom and stability in Europe. That is what we are doing in Kosovo.

The former president called Kosovo a humanitarian crisis. The New York Times, on April 19, 1999, wrote:

In San Francisco on Thursday
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47667

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Kosovo: Clinton 'lied,people died'?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Kosovo: Clinton 'lied,people died'?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I've been wondering for years ...

... how any intellectually honest person could have supported our involvement in the Balkans but not Iraq. Of the major criticisms (no WMD, "rush to war", no UN blessing) there are corrollaries to each in the Balkans.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
lol some will say its diferent

wonder whoHappy

- Collapse -
OTOH, Evie, there was no question of an oil grab,

Milosovic hadn't tried to kill Clinton's father, and while the UN didn't sanction it, all our NATO allies did. Nor did the mission didn' change in midstream after the initial rationale came up empty. So yes, it was much different. Furthermore, it didn't tie up the majority of our ground forces for years in a grinding war of attrition, or increase the budget deficit by hundreds of billions that we can't afford.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
How do you know a Democrat is lying?

He/she is accusing someone else of lying. That's what Dems do. Ditto for cheating, stealing, killing, etc.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) His mouth is moving???? LOL
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Please expound
- Collapse -
LOL!

Are you baiting?

- Collapse -
fishing is jps middle name

dont use a barbless hookHappy

- Collapse -
Riiiiiiggghttt...

KP just said that all Democrats are lying, cheating murderers and JPBill is baiting.

Uh-huh.

- Collapse -
And my reply

was from an old joke! On both political parties at one time or another! Maybe JP should have addressed his post to KP?

- Collapse -
Or maybe you should have commented.....

....on KP's ''baiting'' too. In the interest of fairness and all.

I knew yours was a joke; I've heard it before about lawyers and others.

- Collapse -
Maybe if I was a mod.........

I would do thatHappy Obviously none of the Mods took KP's post as a TOS??

- Collapse -
If you're not a mod.....

....then perhaps it's best not to accuse anyone of baiting?

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Give your advice to some one that cares Josh!
- Collapse -
At least you admit you don't care.....

....about doling out your accusations fairly. That's a big step forward for you.

- Collapse -
Read the next message

this is my last reply on the subject

- Collapse -
An explanation OK?
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=140093&messageID=1573437

I saw this it reminded me of an old member that used the term a lot!

I replied with this because it struck me as funny to see it

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=140093&messageID=1573908

So JP responds with this

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=140169&messageID=1573978

I think I called it right when I said BAITINGHappy

The last post I apologize for I should have posted this instead, But your reply just ticked me off a bit.
- Collapse -
So two members of this forum....

....used the same (rather common) word and that's a reason to accuse someone of baiting?

Whatever.

- Collapse -
so josh you still say clinton didnt lie

ok your right the rest of us are wrong

- Collapse -
I never said whether he did or not

If you'd been reading my posts without some predisposition to attack, you might have picked up on that.

- Collapse -
Since I am dense I wish someone would explain to me how

anything Clinton,George Wahington,Nixon,or Madison did or didnt do has any bearing on whether or not GW. Bush is right or wrong about anything?

The answer is,of course,it doesnt!

Was Clinton a bad President or just a bad boy who sat in the Whitehouse is a good subject for another thread. And no sane person would argue that the Elder Bush had any input via his Presidency into the answer to that!

But it is too much to ask certain people, whose minds connect that which cannot be connected to understand this simple concept..."the action speaks for itself"!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) WHAT??
- Collapse -
Thank you

Sadly your very reasonable response will likely fall on deaf ears.

IF the situations are really analagous then the argument might be that either both of them lied or neither one did. You have to step up for the guy on the other side or come down on the guy on your side in order to go there though.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) why you do a good job of it
- Collapse -
and your point is?
Devil
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If it has to be explained, ...........

CNET Forums

Forum Info