Cameras forum

General discussion

Konica-Minolta Z5 5MP

I have a new baby coming ... the Konica-Minolta Z5. I read what everyone had to say about the various digital models available in the 5MP ballpark, and thank you all for your sound and frank advice -- you saved me from making more than one massive mistake buying on eBay!

Did about a week of shopping and came up with the new camera with all the standard accessories, a 1-gig card, reader, software, and a groovy NiMH AA charger with 8 2300 batteries included. Just over $400 for the whole thing ... though I had to hit three different sellers to get everything I wanted.

The question is: do I have everything I need? I'm just your standard web developer; need the cam for outdoor and product shots -- nothing too refined. Could those of you with plenty of hands-on camera time tell me if I will find any accessory glaringly missing? Anything that will diminish my enjoyment of the camera if I don't get it?

Thanks again for the sage advice. Happy

WebWright

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Konica-Minolta Z5 5MP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Konica-Minolta Z5 5MP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Konica Minolta Z5

In reply to: Konica-Minolta Z5 5MP

Your kit has all you need.

That camera has enough features that it will keep you busy learning for months and months.

To start with, put it in automatic mode and take plenty of photos.

Examine the results and see what you can do to improve your photography.

Do not try to learn all of the features at once.
Because that is impossible.

As you discover a feature that interests you, get the book out and learn about it.

Enjoy your new purchase.

Collapse -
Maybe two items...

In reply to: Konica-Minolta Z5 5MP

First...

It's a good idea to protect your investment in a case of some sort. I'm a big fan of the Z5(good choice there) but the body is plastic. This is both a blessing(makes it very light) and drawback(the potential is there for it to be damaged easier). You may want to pick a good third pary bag to ensure no accidental harm comes to it, and to a lesser extent keep it out of view of thieves. There are a million bags to choose from and I'm sure at least one of them is just right for your uses.

Secondly....

I'd suggest you at least try either a monopod or one of those mini-tripods. I know people HATE to carry tripods and plenty of people bristle at the thought of carrying the extra load with them but you'd be surprised how little space a monopod and/or one of those mini-tripods(the type that you set up on the top of your car when traveling) actually take up. When you're stuck taking pics in low light and you have to push the ISO of the camera to 200 or more handheld you might be surprised how much better the results would have been with a tripod at a lower ISO setting. A tripod isn't for everyone but it can be a great tool for a photographer to use.

I'll also add two more that aren't as strong suggestions but if you see them at a reasonable price you might higly consider;

- FAST SD card(the flash memory cards included in camera packages are usually on the low end but the Z5 is one of the faster shooting shooting cameras on the market both in videos and still). It's always a good idea to have an extra set of everything in your camera bag just in case.

- Lens filters(even just a clear one for protection)

Anyway, good choice on the camera and happy snapping!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!