Cameras forum

General discussion

Konica Minolta Z10

I recently bought my first digital camera, a KM-Z10.
The instructions manual recommends running the camera on an AC adapter for prolonged periods of use such as interfacing with a computer, etc. Trouble is that the camera bundle doesn't include an AC adapter and the vendor doesn't carry them regularly (apparently not many people ask for them) but suggested that I buy a card reader instead. Being new to this digital world
I just don't know what to think/do. Would someone have an informed opinion on the matter to spare and share with me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Konica Minolta Z10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Konica Minolta Z10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Konica Minolta Z10

In reply to: Konica Minolta Z10

I have done both:

A few years ago, I bought a transformer/power-supply to power a digital camera while connected to the computer.

I learned a few things in the process:

1. Just any ol' transformer will not do.
A digital camera takes a lot of power and you need a transformer that is rated at the correct voltage for your camera and it must be rated at two amps (or more) at that voltage.

2. The tip at the end of the wire that connects power to the camera has to be special. Again, due to high power consumption, the tip must make a good connection to the center post of the power input in the camera. There seems to be a common high power connector that has a yellow insulator on the tip.

You can now find transformers designed for digital cameras. I have seen them at Staples and I remember seeing one at WalMart (camera department).

I later bought a card reader, and I have not used the transformer since.

You can get a 12-in-1 SanDisk card reader at WalMart or Staples. It reads 12 different types of cards, 2 of which are appearing in the future. It sells for about $20 - $30.

With the card reader, you never have to connect the camera to your computer. You do not have to use the software that came with the camera.

If you have Windows XP or ME, you do not even need to load any drivers. There are drivers for Windows 98SE.

I use Windows Explorer to look at the card reader. It sees your card as being a hard disk. Just create a folder in your My Pictures folder and drag the photos from the camera and put them in the folder.

A simple method to manage your photos:

If you have more than one camera, make a folder for each camera.
Each time you get ready to unload the camera memory card, make a folder under the camera folder and name it with the date and a simple description.
i.e. 20050513Disneyland

Collapse -
Many thanks

In reply to: Konica Minolta Z10

You've answered my question and solved my problem in just a few lines. Good [snap]shot.

Gratefully yours,
exequitur

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.