Cameras forum

General discussion

Konica Minolta DiMage Z2

Well, first off, if this is the wrong forum then I am sorry. I wasn't sure whether or not to post this topic in "What Camera Should I buy" or not. But since I have a question about a camera, I figured it belongs here. Anyways, here it goes....

Ok, so I recently started attending fights ringside (press row), and on Thursday, I brought a camera for the first time, because I want to have my own pictures in my articles and maybe get a friend in as a photographer. Well, I ordered a Z2 and it was supposed to arrive on Wednesday of last week, it didn't. So, I got stuck with some 3.2 MP Samsung and the pictures were.....unflattering, to say the least. Here is one of the pictures...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/amat_2to0/November17052.jpg

Yeah....it's pretty bad. Now, as I'm about to reorder the DiMage, I want to be sure that I am going to be getting good quality pics. It looks nice, and the review on here and a couple other sites were helpful, but since I'm a photography newbie, I don't know if the camera is going to suit my needs. And just in case it is relevant (if you were to suggest another camera instead), I am buying this as a refurb, and my budget tops off at about $250 (that includes any warranties). So, do you think it suits my needs? I want good pictures....so this is fairly important for me. A couple other things that might be important ....

* If I do prints, they won't be any bigger then 8x10
* Video Capabilty/Quality doesn't matter to me
* Flash photography isn't allowed at these events
* I want a fairly simple to use camera, I'm not at all seasoned in photography, and neither is anyone else who will be using this camera
* Incase your not sure, the lighting for boxing is usually a dimly lit audience, and a brightly lit ring.

Thanks for any help Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Konica Minolta DiMage Z2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Konica Minolta DiMage Z2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Konica Minolta Z2

In reply to: Konica Minolta DiMage Z2

Yep, that Samsung photo is either out of focus or there was camera movement at the time the photo was taken. That photo was taken at 1/34th of a second with an aperture of F2.9 and ISO setting was 200.

The shutter speed was too slow for hand holding a camera.

It does look like the ring is well lit, but it is pushing the camera to its limits.

The Z2 is going to be pushed to its limits too.

When shooting action with available light, the problem is to keep the shutter speed fast enough and also get enough light to get a good exposure.

I would try the Z2 in auto mode first and see what kind of results you get.
If necessary you can switch to manual controls and then you get to decide the shutter speed, aperture setting and ISO setting.

Post some boxing photos from the Z2 and we can see if you need to do anything different.

Collapse -
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/amat_2to0/November17052

In reply to: Konica Minolta Z2

I will, thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Sorry for the bump...but

In reply to: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/amat_2to0/November17052

Sorry for the bump, but I have a few more things to bottom to this post.

Ok....just to give you guys ideas of what I want. I don't need magazine quality pics. Take this recent photo from a fight last night (not taken by me)

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Media/W_HattonMaussa09_MrWill.jpg
http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Media/W_HattonMaussa04_MrWill.jpg
I just need pics like that, I'm not trying to win anyphoto journalism awards, I just need decent pictures.

So, I have a few more questions

1. With a Z3 (I've found the Z3 for a better price then the Z2), will I be able to take photos of the quality of the two I posted above.
2. Are those dots (or the blurriness) noise? I've read the definition of noise, but I'm still not sure what it is.
3. Am I better off gettng the FujiFillm S5200?

Once again, thank you so much for any help. I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
More

In reply to: Sorry for the bump...but

1. The Z3 should be a better choice since it has image stabilization.

2. If you are talking about the grainy look in the dark area behing the boxers, that is noise.

I tried running noise removal software on the photos and it did a good job of cleaning up the noise.

To get free software to try:
Go to www.imagenomic.com

Download the free "Noiseware Community Edition"

Run the program, Open the photo file, press "GO", then Save.

3. The Fujifilm should provide photos with less noise.
But if you are satisfied with the present photos and the noise removal software, the Z3 should serve your purpose.

Collapse -
Thanks.

In reply to: More

Wow....the Noise program really did work wonders. So.....it's basically settled now,I'm probably going to get the Z3. Thank you so much.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!