Cameras forum

General discussion

Konica Minolta Dimage A1 vs. Canon G5

I presently own a G5 and have been very happy with it. I went on vacation in Italy and took a lot of pictures inside churches and got a lot of blurred pictures with the G5. I looked at Minolta Dimage A1 with the antishake, the EVF and the manual optical and it is very appealing. Has anyone any experience with this camera. How fast is the AF compared to G5? The Canon sometimes struggles in low light. The anti-shake feature would have been very helpful with my inside photos. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Konica Minolta Dimage A1 vs. Canon G5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Konica Minolta Dimage A1 vs. Canon G5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Konica Minolta Dimage A1 vs. Canon G5

In reply to: Konica Minolta Dimage A1 vs. Canon G5

Pictures inside churches are usually done with available light, without tripod and without flash.

You will be shooting at very low speeds many times and image stabilization will help...up to a point.

For times slower than 1/10th of a second, you would still need camera support of some type.

This is where you can get creative and start using those manual controls and raise the ISO setting which will let you shoot at faster speed.

You may get some noise in the picture but that is better that blurred photos. And there are some good free noise filters available that can be applied from the computer.

Here is what owners are saying about the Diamge A1:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=minolta_dimagea1

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Konica Minolta Dimage A1 vs. Canon G5

I thought the camera automatically switched ISO settings when you deactivate the flash in low light situations. Is just the speed of the shot altered ??

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Konica Minolta Dimage A1 vs. Canon G5

Depending upon the camera, it may switch the ISO.

But at what shutter speed does it up the ISO?

In automatic mode, the camera does not always make the right decisions under difficult conditions.

To control the situation, you can shoot in Program mode and manually set the ISO to a high setting.

Or you can shoot in Shutter Priority mode and that will force the camera to up the ISO when there is not enough light to take the picture at the shutter speed you have chosen.

The manual controls lets you make the decisions in difficult situations.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.