General discussion

Kodak Zi8: Converted MP4 to MOV does not play. HELP PLEASE!

I have a Kodak Zi8 -- I'm attempting to load my P90X work out routines on to it so that I can HDMI it to my television. The videos were originally MP4's and I converted them to .MOV's -- loaded it onto the Zi8 and nothing happened, so I thought, well maybe it has to be named like the other files in the folder to be viewed. so I changed monday.mov to 129_0190.mov the result this time was an red-encircled black exclamation point. So the camera is SEEING the video, but it will not play it. I have the latest firmware, just did that this morning of the Kodak website. Perhaps my problem is the SORT of mov file I converted it to, which was/is: Quick Time (.mov) - HD Quality 480p (H.264, 848*480; MP2/4 (AAC) 320 kbps)

As far as I'm concerned an MOV is an MOV and the player should accept it ... please help me out, this is kind of important to my New Year's resolution Wink

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Kodak Zi8: Converted MP4 to MOV does not play. HELP PLEASE!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Kodak Zi8: Converted MP4 to MOV does not play. HELP PLEASE!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Kodak Zi8

Camera makers do not want people to manually add files to a memory card.
They have several safeguards; one is to prevent the camera from playing or showing such files.

By adding files to the Zi8 memory card you can end up with a card that the Zi8 refuses to use at all.

You will need some type of multimedia player, such as iPod or similar device, to accomplish your goal.

- Collapse -
So...

You're telling me that other than being encoded with the ArcSoft encoder, there are other "safeguards". Could you explain? I have a hard time believing that.

- Collapse -
Let me make it easy.

I was on a development team for a digital security camera. The same thing happened where the encoding for the images or video had to be exact for the device to play it back. Since we knew support for that was going to be over the top and swamp out the tech lines we settled for documenting how to get the video out of the devices. We never shared how to put content into the device because no one would accept the procedure or would want us to add support for MP4, or other such things.

Hope this helps,
Bob

- Collapse -
using the Exact same parameters

you could analyze the mov files in your camera first, including the resolutions, bit rate, frame rate, etc., with a freeware, say FFMpeg. And then convert mp4 to mov with the exact same parameters, and try again. Good luck.

- Collapse -
forget about it

I have yet to hear of anyone being able to copy either still pics or movie files onto a memory card and then display on a digital camera or camcorder. The cameras are not designed to be playback devices except for the files created in the camera and stored on the card by the camera. Sorry.

- Collapse -
Bah ha, nay sayers.

I figured it out, thanks for all the negative comments -- they were good for motivation.

- Collapse -
Putting Mov files back on a Kodak type camera.

So how about sharing with the rest of us how you did it. I have the same problem putting mov files back on my Kodak Point and Shoot. Please be specific with the steps that you used to do this.

- Collapse -
Kodak Zi8: Converted MP4 to MOV does not play.

So tannercampbell,

Could you please tell us how you solved the problem of putting mov files back on your Kodak Zi8 camera after you edited them and got them to play again. I am not a doubting Thomas...rather I am a curious rwc!

Robert

- Collapse -
conversion with zi8

i noticed you had 480p.mov. you need 720 or 1080p conversion and the new quicktime upgrade formating. lower resolution is your current problem.

- Collapse -
Any luck?

Funny enough I am trying to do the exact same thing converting my P90X to a Kodak video format. I tried modifying the codec which got me past the red exclamation warning but still fails to play. Did you have any luck successfully converting to the Kodak MOV format?

- Collapse -
NVM

Just found the solution. Now I have no more excuses to start P90X now lol.

CNET Forums

Forum Info