Speakeasy forum

General discussion

"Knockout" just a game, with YOU as the target

by James Denison / December 28, 2013 12:20 AM PST
And by any other name it's violence and battery upon a victim.

Hey, here's an idea, let's all get together in a large gang and invade a mall and create havoc. If there's a Zimmerman who might shoot us we can always march around chanting "No Justice, No Peace" and all that rot.

Brooklyn mall invaded by large mob, violence ensues. Where are the marchers calling for calm? The Jesse's and the Sharptons?

What to do? Rubber bullets? Rubber bats? Why should society have to put up with this??!!

"A wild flash mob stormed and trashed a Brooklyn mall, causing so much
chaos that the shopping center was forced to close during
post-Christmas sales, sources said Friday.
...erupted into brawls all over Kings Plaza
Shopping Center in Mill Basin on Thursday at 5 p.m., sources said.
The troublemakers looted and ransacked several stores as panicked
shoppers ran for the exits and clerks scrambled to pull down metal
gates... Some of the teens — who had planned the rowdy meet-up on social media — later took to Facebook to brag about it.
"[Kings Plaza] was on tilt today but n-ggas wasn't catching me," Ray Ray Sextana posted on Facebook.
Another teen, Mark Wallace, posted, "S-t was crazy at Kings Plaza. So
the security started shutting down the mall and kicking all teens out
but it was so much of us they couldn't get control."
He added,"F-ked up my middle finger tryna fight them ***** *** security guards.""
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Knockout" just a game, with YOU as the target
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Knockout" just a game, with YOU as the target
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
guess a mob attack is a natural outgrowth of the
by Roger NC / December 28, 2013 12:47 AM PST

earlier attacks.

[urlhttp://www.cbsnews.com/videos/knockout-game-has-deadly-consequences/#postComments]Knocked out game where the object is to surprise hit someone and knock them out with one punch.

Interesting that in searching the term in Google the results are overwhelming about how now one case has been charged as a hate crime, allegedly because of racial slurs used in bragging by the attacker prior to the attack.

Not very extensive coverage, I did see the story linked to on CBS morning news because it came on during the time in the morning I have the morning show on while dressing for work.

But that was weeks ago, hadn't hurt much before or since then without going looking for it or someone linking to a story at about the same time in email or social media.

It's hate crime alright, but not racial, homophobic, religious based, etc., it's hating decency. Hating humanity apparently. The gut, illogical response is if these people want to act like animals, treat them like animals. Any animal that attacks a human is normally put down pretty quickly, even with the human invaded their turf.

Collapse -
bad enough
by James Denison / December 28, 2013 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: Response

but an individual action by a single idiot, not comparable to an entire mob engaging in such behaviour. Mobs looking for "knockouts" is only a step removed from "lynch mobs". Working up their courage? What about possible backlash in future?

Collapse -
check out what happened in Jacksonville
by James Denison / December 28, 2013 10:59 AM PST

I didn't hear this on national news, but maybe I just missed it?

I do see ABC has a page link on it.

"Five teenagers were arrested when a 600-person brawl broke out in a Florida movie theater's parking lot on Christmas night.
Described by police as a "melee," the fight occurred around 8:30 p.m.
on Wednesday outside the Hollywood River City 14 movie theater in
Jacksonville when a group tried to storm the theater's doors without
purchasing tickets, police said. Several had rushed an off-duty police
officer working as a security guard.
The officer "administered pepper spray to disperse the group, locked
the doors and called for backup, following protocol," said Lauri-Ellen
Smith, a spokeswoman for the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.
Soon after the pepper spray was used, "upward of 600 people moving
throughout a parking lot about the size of a football field began
fighting, disrupting and jumping on cars," she said.
Sixty-two police officers were called to the scene to break up the brawl, "sequestering them and separating them," Smith said."

Collapse -
all too common with some crowds sadly
by Roger NC / December 28, 2013 11:51 AM PST

reminds me of the groups that end up vandalizing cars, houses, business, etc "celebrating" when their team wins a big game, totally inexcusable, often alcohol and drugged fueled.

Mobs are too easy to work up too. For some reason we, humans that is, seemed susceptible to "mob psychology", doing things in a pack we wouldn't do individually.

Your example also brings in the mentality of deciding to take something not entitled to, trying to break into a movie. That's if they were trying to get in for free to see the movie. Any other intent would be even more serious, legally that is. I'm not sure it matters why they started it as far as being wrong.

Why so people so easily get swept up in a crowd and do things they would never do alone or even in twos and threes? Why are humans susceptible to such a thing as mob psychology, or mob insanity more accurately?

Collapse -
Not sure
by James Denison / December 28, 2013 1:32 PM PST

I suspect it's similar to why some people who get drunk do things they otherwise wouldn't do when sober. False courage in the bottle or a mob to do follow the secrets of their heart? Why is it some drunks are still fun company and friendly, while others go from guy you know to monster you don't? Obviously it unleashes something that is within them that otherwise is kept under control.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!