Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Cameras forum

General discussion

KM A200 vs Nikon D70s

by djpavs / January 16, 2006 5:31 AM PST

I've owned KM A200 for about a year. I love the zoom and pixelage and that it's very light. When I print my pictures as posters the guy asks me if I do this for a living... (I don't) However, i've been looking towards upgrading to D70. I feel that KM has slower focusing and picture quality a tad inferior to Nikon's. I'm an advanced amature and would like a more professional-grade equipment. I'm just wondering if the cost is worth it. If you ever had experience with either camera, I would greatly apreciate your take on such upgrade.
Many thanks,
DJpavs

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: KM A200 vs Nikon D70s
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: KM A200 vs Nikon D70s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How About
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: KM A200 vs Nikon D70s
Collapse -
D200
by djpavs / January 16, 2006 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: How About

does look very nice. It's a little out of my budget. But if I don't have it stolen, it would be the only camera I'll ever need unless I turn pro. Total expense comes up very close to $2k with a decent lense vs. $1100 of D70. Those are dangerous ideas you're giving me Happy Thanks though.

Do you think D70 would have a superior picture quality vis-a-vis A200?

Collapse -
Comparing Photos
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: D200

I carefully compared one photo of each.
The photos are of the exact same subject.

The D70 looks sharper to me.

They were using the Nikon DX-18-70 AF-S kit lens.

You can check for yourself:

Here are links to sample photos:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/nikon_d70_samples.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a200_samples.html

I was comparing the .jpg photos of the 2 1/2 story red brick building.

Look at the photo expanded to its full size.
Do not go beyond 100% size

Things to look for:
The street name on the street sign post.
The numbers on the green dumpster.
The clarity of the speed limit sign
The post of the No Parking sign on the right side.

Collapse -
D70 vs D200
by djpavs / January 16, 2006 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: Comparing Photos

That's true. D70 IS a lot sharper. Do you think D200 is a lot better then D70? Actually, what I mean to ask is if you think it's worth the double price tag for body?

Thank you.

Collapse -
D70 - D200
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: D70 vs D200

Since there are no sample photos available yet, from that reviewer.....there is no way to accurately compare photos.

But if using the same lens and with the 10 megapixel sensor, I would expect a photo just as sharp but with more detail.

The D200 offers more performance and features.

No reviews yet.....but here is a preview:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond200/

Collapse -
D200 worth 2x D70?
by ajdooley / January 20, 2006 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: D70 vs D200

Only if the money is not a question. Not many photographers will stretch the capabilities of a D70 up to 11x14. More importantly, will going with the D70 permit you to start taking pictures today? The "better" camera you cannot bring home from the store doesn't take any pictures -- good or bad. If its a real dilemma, get the D70 and enjoy it thoroughly.
Alan

Collapse -
KM vs. D70
by ajdooley / January 20, 2006 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: KM A200 vs Nikon D70s

The discussion is moot. KM has just withdrawn from the camera-photo market. The D70 is a superb camera with one not-often noted feature: it synchs with strobes at 1/500th of a second! What a great "syncro-sun" tool. We have one in my office at work, I have one as a second body and love it for both uses. If you can find a still-new D70 for a couple of hundred less than a D70s -- take it.
Alan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!