TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Klipsch or Onkyo

by ebaAay / April 9, 2007 7:46 PM PDT

I'm looking for a system for my bedroom. The main use will be for music (house, electro and dance genre mostly) but also for movies and TV. Dimensions of the room are 3.3x4.9m and 2.6m high (11.8x16.1ft and 8.5ft high)

I think it's between the Onkyo SKS-HTS790 or a Klipsch Synergy System - Quintet III with Sub-10 and probably the same receiver as the Onkyo package (Onkyo TX-SR504). The Onkyo package is probably around AU$500 cheaper so I am leaning towards that.

Of course I can get the Onkyo SKS-HT540 (same as above without the receiver) and get a different receiver altogether. Maybe the Pioneer VSX816S or Yamaha RX-V559B.

Comments or suggestions..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Klipsch or Onkyo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Klipsch or Onkyo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AS THE PRIMARY USE IS FOR MUSIC; THE KLIPSCHES HANDS DOWN!!!
by Riverledge / April 10, 2007 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Klipsch or Onkyo

CANNOT EXPRESS HOW IMPORTANT HIGH QUALITY SPEAKERS ARE FOR MUSIC.

AS for the A/V/Receiver I'd go with either the YAMAHA or ONKYO.

Good shopping,
river.

Collapse -
really?
by ebaAay / April 10, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

even though these are single 3.5" dome speakers? and are not (i think) as powerful.
i would of thought when it came to music the onkyo would have been the better option

Collapse -
Onkyo or Klipsch?!
by JermTOOL / April 10, 2007 2:08 AM PDT

Man oh man, you should definitely pick up the Klipsch Quintet system with the sub-10. The Quintet will give you some of the cleanest sound for small speakers you could hear without spending a ton of money! The sub-10 has some of the tightest bass you could hear, unmatched at the $400 or so price range. I would match that whole system with a Harman/Kardon or Yamaha receiver and banana clip all your connections (both speakers and on the receiver) for even better sound. Happy shopping man, make the right decision, Klipsch! You will be amazed with their horn design tweeters. I own the F3s, sub-12, S2s and C3 running to a Yamaha receiver, people are amazed when they hear it.

Collapse -
I simply must confirm the other posters.
by NM_Bill / April 10, 2007 3:55 AM PDT

My fine audio quest has 46 years experience. My somewhat informed opinion is like the others.

Onkyo speakers can be recommended as a real value within the small HTIB type sets. However we strongly prefer speakers made by specializing speaker makers rather than add-ons by component makers. They simply set the high standards.

Perhaps you're not very informed about the since 1947 (I believe) high standards of performance of Klipsch speakers. They are decidedly a first tier speaker company.

The importance of speakers comes about because the selection of speakers is the most personal emeonet of your set up. $200 receivers sound basically the same as $2000 receivers. No speaker is perfect & sound character differs among brands. Good selection for your personal preferences gets you pleasure for many years without second thoughts to replace them within a few years. Unlike fast paced technological changes to components, speakers basically don't wear out. They may seem expensive initially,but in the long run are very reasonable expenses.

The $500 price diference tempts you, but I think you see the pattern here now that we extoll the superior Klipsches importantly for your long term enjoyment.

Collapse -
Okay
by ebaAay / April 10, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

To be honest, I'm not too worried about the price difference anymore.
I am just surprised that the tiny Klipsch speakers are preferred to the Onkyo ones, especially as my main concern is music. Admittedly I have not heard them in action as yet, but endeavour to do so in the not too distant future.

I am in fact aware of the high standards of Klipsch products but the Quintets aren't exactly their top range line and have (I believe) little mid bass levels. The horn tweeter is another concern as I have heard of some people complaining about the noise reproduction from these.

Does anyone have any technical specifications on the speakers? I can't find any on the Klipsch site. Just want to know sensitivity, impedence, wattage, frequecy range etc.

I assume my best bet for a sub would be the Sub-10, correct?

As for a receiver, the Yamaha RX-V559 is looking a promosing buy, though the Onkyo TX-SR504 also looks the goods.

Really appreciating the help guys.

Collapse -
ACTUALLY THE KLIPSCH SPEAKERS I HAD IN MIND ARE THE.........
by Riverledge / April 10, 2007 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay

REFERRENCE SERIES

RF-10 5.1 HOME THEARTER (floostanding system)$1,349, OR THE
RB-10 5.1 HOME THEARTER (bookshelf system)$1,099.

riverledge.

Collapse -
I'm not too sure what to enter as a subject title
by ebaAay / April 10, 2007 5:13 PM PDT

No it's not the reference speakers i was talking about, it's the Quintet III system

http://www.klipsch.com/world/au/en/products/details/quintet-iii.aspx

The type of music I listen to is definitely not classical haha. More of a dance genre. So lot's of bass, fairly acoustic, not always alot of vocals, high tempo etc.

In reply to JermTOOL, I don't have a Best Buy where I am (Australia) and I'm not too sure of many places that have setups of a wide range of high quality products, but I am going to see if I can get a listen to the Quintets tomorrow.

My budget would be set at $2000 Australian, which to put is $US would probably be the same as a Quintet III System with Sub-10 and Yamaha RX-V559 receiver or roughly US$1500 im not too sure.

Collapse -
Howdy
by jostenmeat / April 10, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

Problem is you havent heard them yet. What kind of music do you listen to? Horn tweeters are particular. Very efficient- Less power neeeded = less distortion, as a general rule. Very good for movies. Very good for death metal. Classical music? I think not. They can be a bit shrill for such. I've seen a few setups on-line, where people have two sets of speakers. Klipsch for movies, some other for music, B&W for example. Onkyo's are definitely not high quality, even if they are better than a vast majority of htib speakers. My Onkyo center distorts with voices a lot at times. Sub is good for htib, but again, pretty darn poor compared to a "sub company".

You will hear EVEREYWHERE, THE SAME THING: "Listen for yourself". You do not state a budget. You might be surprised at what you will want to spring good money on after just a couple of visits. But, its your time, your money. I have seen a few persons buy speakers ONLY going on on-line rec's by forum posters. I can understand those whose time is of most importance, AND do not really care all that much. Me? I've auditioned quite a few.

Collapse -
Excuse me
by jostenmeat / April 10, 2007 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Howdy

I missed your list of house/electro/dance. No idea what the differences are. I will then also concur with others here, Klipsch is an excellent choice for you I imagine.

Collapse -
Go to your local Best Buy...
by JermTOOL / April 10, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

They sell Yamaha receivers and Klipsch speakers so you can test out and hear everything for yourself. Your Best Buy should have the Quintet system up and running and just bring in your own music and test it out to see if they are the right fit for you. Typically they have the sub-10 hooked up with it and they usually run everything through a Yamaha receiver, at least that is how my store does it. Go to http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7372513&st=quintet&type=product&id=1122654018549 to find some stats and specs on the Quintet system. You will also be able to find information on the sub-10 and some of their receivers. Good luck.

Collapse -
Hmm, surprised the info wasn't on the Klipsch site.
by NM_Bill / April 10, 2007 1:29 PM PDT

At least by traditional reference, Klipsches are high efficiency. The classic fully loaded corner horn was 104dB @ 8 ohms, really wide range & capable of handling much but seeing as they product so much sound with moderate imput?

In general the line has been highly efficient, wide range & usually @ 8 ohms.

They were magnificant the 1st time I heard them (about 1964) & always had on opinion by some who felt they weren't always the preferred sound by all. I suppose that was inherent in that the extreme wide range attempted to do so very much that the truly sensitive could decide under what circumstances they might be considered less that ideal.

Anyone with curiosity should hear them.

I'm not the resident sub woofer expert, but assume the mentioned Sub-10 would be a good match. Here Onkyo receivers seem to have more fans than the Yamahas, but I'd bet either would satisfy.

Collapse -
well...
by ebaAay / April 10, 2007 8:49 PM PDT

No it's not the reference speakers i was talking about, it's the Quintet III system

http://www.klipsch.com/world/au/en/products/details/quintet-iii.aspx

The type of music I listen to is definitely not classical haha. More of a dance genre. So lot's of bass, fairly acoustic, not always alot of vocals, high tempo etc.

In reply to JermTOOL, I don't have a Best Buy where I am (Australia) and I'm not too sure of many places that have setups of a wide range of high quality products, but I am going to see if I can get a listen to the Quintets tomorrow.

My budget would be set at $2000 Australian, which to put is $US would probably be the same as a Quintet III System with Sub-10 and Yamaha RX-V559 receiver or roughly US$1500 im not too sure.

Collapse -
ALL THE TECHNICAL STATS ARE AVAILABLE ON KLIPSCH'S
by Riverledge / April 11, 2007 10:17 AM PDT

WEB-SITE http://www.klipsch.com

Go to site, click on "speaker type"; click the photo of that model;
tech info follows at bottom.

river.

Collapse -
test run
by ebaAay / April 11, 2007 6:29 PM PDT

I went into a store today and had a listen to the Quintets together with the Sub-10 and i think it was hooked up to a Yamaha 359.
The clarity was excellent, though I was a tad disappointed with the mid bass, was just lacking a touch.

The bloke said he can give me a very good deal - Quintets, Sub-10 and Yamaha RX-V599 for $1600. Considering they were advertising the same speakers with a Yamaha 359 for $1665, I think that is a very good price and now have a lot of thinking to do over the next couple of days to see if I am going to purchase the system or not.

Collapse -
well
by ebaAay / April 17, 2007 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: test run

I have scrapped the Quintet idea .. not up to my level lol.

I have decided on the Yamaha RX-V559. Now I am considering either:

Klipsch:
B-2
C-1
S-1
Sub-10

or

Polk Audio:
Monitor 30
CS1
FXi 3
PSW10/Klipsch Sub-10 (have heard not so good thinks about PSW10)

I will purchase the left and right, centre and sub then save a bit more to get surrounds.

Just an opinion or some feedback on the two sets as I have not heard much about Polk Audio systems and don't have as much knowledge of them as I do with Klipsch (which I rate highly).

Polk Audio System will also work out cheaper.

Collapse -
imo
by jostenmeat / April 18, 2007 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: well

Klipsch and Polk are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Klipsch are bright and loud, Polk are dark/warm/veiled. If you love Klipsch, buy those. Didnt reread this thread, but I think I remember where you are coming from. Klipsch is often recommended for both HT and LOUD music.

Collapse -
Right-o, josten me boy
by NM_Bill / April 28, 2007 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: imo

Very logical post. Brief & to the point.

By the way, I just returned from Vegas. The wife needed to see the production of Mamma Mia at Mandalay Bay. Nearly new state of the art theater where money is no object. Stellar sound system as well as lighting. Makes me just wonder about specifics of the sound system.

Oh well, must be hundreds of thousands....

Collapse -
Thanks
by jostenmeat / April 29, 2007 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Right-o, josten me boy

I really hoped you enjoyed your vacation. My close friends are flying back in later today from the NO festival. Can't wait to ask them about it. Well, we missed your level-headed eloquence here, or at least I did. Welcome back.

Collapse -
If they lay it on heavy, you'll squirm with emotion & have
by NM_Bill / April 29, 2007 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

some cusses under the breath directed towards them. I waxed eloquent about how the Fest is just unbelievably over the top. It takes some money, true, but for a music junkie it's nirvana.

And because many of the artists are pioneers in their style of sound, they are old & not to be able to be seen much longer in many cases. Just awesome. Too much for any one person to absorb. Mark it as a future pilgrimage.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm not sure I ever start out to be level-headed as my quests in life are hopelessly drenched in emotion.

Collapse -
ebaAay...Are you still around?
by audman12 / October 8, 2007 4:53 PM PDT
In reply to: test run

Hi,

I know it's been a while since this thread was active but I myself am contemplating buying the same package you mention...

The Klipsch Quintet iii set with the Yamaha receiver.

I am also in Australia and have been hunting around for the best speakers for my budget. The price you mention of $1600 (is that for the Quintet ii or iii package???) seems to be a good price to me.... I'm presuming that's Aussie dollars!

Was that offered in Sydney.... if so I may inquire if it is still good now. Don't suppose you could let me know where that came from ??

I appreciate it.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Cheers.

Collapse -
Klipsch
by FMCook / October 9, 2007 1:55 PM PDT

I have Klipsch speakers and an Onkyo receiver. I don't have the set you mention though and your budget looks like it can afford more. take a look at the other speakers in the synergy line. I'm using S-2's as fronts even though they are designed as surrounds because I needed wall mountable speakers and I'm very happy. my surrounds are in the ceiling.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?