Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Kiplinger looks for a silver lining

by Angeline Booher / October 25, 2008 1:36 AM PDT
10 Things That Are Going Right in a Bad Economy

A record 90% of registered voters say the country is seriously off on the wrong track, according to the most recent ABC News poll. A long economic slump lasting well into 2009 looks likely.

But heart. The editors of Kiplinger's Personal Finance and Kiplinger's forecasting came up with 10 things going right these days. See if you agree:

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/Story.asp?S=9232990

I suspect a god bit depends on whre one lives and how secure ones job is.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kiplinger looks for a silver lining
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kiplinger looks for a silver lining
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nice but...
by EdHannigan / October 25, 2008 3:17 AM PDT

has a "whistling past the graveyard" ring to it.

On the other hand I don't accept at all the notion that were are near the brink of a depression or even that the coming recession will be deep and terrible.

Collapse -
Bargains there are, IF you have the money
by Roger NC / October 25, 2008 3:54 AM PDT

and willing to risk it.

Just week before last on Friday we were looking at some auto dealer newspaper ads at work at lunch time.

Pickup trucks cheaper than I've seen in several years. New 2008 as low as $11500 for basic and a Silverado package for $12600. I think those prices are close approximations, I can't recall the exact amounts, just less than $12000 and less than $13000.

Guys were really picking on me about going to go by one since I was "drooling" over the ads. However having just bought a house, even a small one at a good price, even with a good job that seems stable for now, I've a bit of a hard time going out and buying one until I get more familiar with my expenses in the new place: average electric, gas, taxes, etc.

We could use a new car, both of ours are just below the 100,000 mile marker, one is 1999 and the other 2000 model. But while I'd love to have a truck for the second vehicle just for it's usefulness, what we buy next will be a newer car, for whatever road traveling we get to do next whenever we do get a chance.

Roger

Collapse -
I'd like a new car myself.
by Angeline Booher / October 25, 2008 4:25 AM PDT

But it wouldn't be a smart investment. Happy

I know everybody thinks that everybody in the South owns a pick up truck. Happy They are handy. Especially when hauling stuff comes into play. But when I had a VW Squareback, it was amazing what I could haul in that. Even a big wardrobe. I can't recall ever going antiquing and not being able to get the stuff home. Moved the kids into their college dorm rooms, etc. My favorite vehicle of all time.

When push comes to shove, we all need a way to haul stuff.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
$7000 tax credit might be a good investment
by WOODS-HICK / October 25, 2008 9:14 AM PDT

if your fella wins the election. well according to his promise at least in his tax plan.

if you buy an "advance technology vehicle" get $7g tax credit. The 'plan' does not describe what exactly that is.

the following one should qualify and could be that 'beau-magnet' you might desire.

http://www.teslamotors.com/buy/resyourcar.php

Collapse -
(NT) Lottery tickets, I tell ya, lottery tickets!
by drpruner / October 25, 2008 1:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) That's my retirement plan Z
by Roger NC / October 25, 2008 1:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
mine is 5 acres and a mule.
by James Denison / October 25, 2008 10:16 PM PDT

.5 acre for house and yard, 2.5 acre for growing food, 2 acre for corn to fuel corn stove and feed mule, and one mule to kick every time I see a Democrat.

Collapse -
Down from 40 acres and a mule?
by Paul C / October 26, 2008 8:00 AM PDT

Is inflation that bad? Wink

Collapse -
Ah, lottery tickets!
by Angeline Booher / October 26, 2008 1:43 AM PDT

My $1 a week investment in fantasy!

Cheaper than a movie ticket. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
best traveling car bargains are Buicks right now.
by James Denison / October 25, 2008 10:23 PM PDT

previous body style Century, or LeSabre. My wife got a LeSabre fully loaded with 3.8L and gets 23-25 mpg to and from work, but that's across some highways, not city streets. I love those heated leather seats in the winter. Insurance cost is much cheaper than some tin can that gets 35mpg. Comfort and safety is worth the gas difference between the two, with the savings on insurance coverage.

Collapse -
Actually, Angeline, you have an 11th thing:
by Paul C / October 26, 2008 8:04 AM PDT

The Titans are 6-0 going into tomorrow night's game - and I suspect that they stand an excellent chance of being 7-0 after it. Sad

Vince WHO?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.