Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Kimchi

by David Evans / April 6, 2005 9:19 AM PDT

OK, I went to Wal Mart, saw a jar of Kimchi in the refrigerated produce section, and decided to try some. I'd read of it but never tasted it.

Put my sack of groceries in the car trunk, drove home, unloaded, and noticed while unloading that I could smell something that HAD to be kimchi. It had a tamper resistent plastic around the lid still intact. I cut that off and opened it up and kimchi juice/broth/whatever squirted all over my shirt and all over the sink. I'm guessing that this is not ordinary so if anybody wants to taste test this stuff, just let me know.

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kimchi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kimchi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fermented / rotten cabbage
by MarciaB / April 6, 2005 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Kimchi

and stuff is not on the top of my list.

I'll let you do the honors Grin

--Marcia

P.S. I hope you don't have to burn your shirt.

Collapse -
Try some you chicken!
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 6:40 AM PDT

bwaak bwaak bwaaaak!

DE

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) T'would put me in a fowl mood :)
by MarciaB / May 19, 2005 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Try some you chicken!
Collapse -
Here's how to make your own
by Steven Haninger / April 6, 2005 10:32 AM PDT
Here
and more information
Here
But I'll stick with a good old American tossed salad with home grown tomatos and cukes on top.
Collapse -
Took me awhile
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 6:39 AM PDT

to get back here, lol. I don't think I'll be making any kimchi, I already kimcheed one of my shirts!

DE

Collapse -
I have eaten Kimchi......
by Glenda / April 6, 2005 10:58 AM PDT

in Korean restaurants and it is very good! Has a spicy pickled flavor:) I suggest you return the Kimchi to WalMart as it sounds like it is a bad batch! They make Kimchi by putting it in a crock salting it and maybe vinegar, but not sure on that and burying it to ferment. If made right it is very good:)

Collapse -
I threw it away
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 6:42 AM PDT

I did taste a tiny bite and spit it out because I wasn't at all sure that this stuff was still good. It was garlicy and hot.

DE

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Supposed to be!! You wimp!
by Glenda / May 19, 2005 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I threw it away
Collapse -
The garlic and hot is fine
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 12:16 PM PDT

I'm not wimpy about that at all. But anything that leaks out of the jar under its own pressure before I open it gets treated with caution.

DE

Collapse -
I eat it as a snack,
by drpruner / April 6, 2005 11:03 AM PDT

as you might eat spicy potato chips. Very tasty, and it repels werewolves.
Learned about it from my Hawaiian wife. In Hawaii all the ethnicities eat each others' food.
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
Doug and Glenda:
by Paul C / April 6, 2005 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I eat it as a snack,

I've eaten kimchee - in Korea no less - and the only thing I can say is: Do you two often think that perhaps there's something that makes you lack for friends?

Trust me, I KNOW what it is... Devil

Collapse -
Can you explain, Please ;)
by Glenda / April 6, 2005 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Doug and Glenda:

Hey! I don't eat it as often as Doug does:)

Collapse -
Explanation:
by Paul C / April 9, 2005 10:07 AM PDT

Did you not refer to that stuff as "very good"?

This is an unretouched picture of a pilot acquaintance of mine after eating kimchi on a regular basis for 1 year at Kunsan Air Base, Korea. Be forewarned: This or something similar to it could well be your fate! Devil

Collapse -
LMAO!!!
by Glenda / April 9, 2005 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Explanation:

hehehe good one!

Collapse -
I remember that picture
by Steven Haninger / April 9, 2005 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Explanation:

while in the USAF displayed with the slogan "Sleep tight tonight, your Air Force is awake".:)

Collapse -
All I know is,
by drpruner / April 6, 2005 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Doug and Glenda:

there aren't any werewolves around, Q.E.D. Happy
Regards, Doug lonely in New Mexico

Collapse -
''...there aren't any werewolves around, Q.E.D.''
by Paul C / April 9, 2005 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: All I know is,

Nor are there people, small animals or houseplants!

Of course, you won't have problems with biting insects, either... Devil

Collapse -
I believe the werewolf repellant thing
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: I eat it as a snack,

This stuff was definitely heavy on the garlic, which is fine with me.

DE

Collapse -
DavE,
by Paul C / April 6, 2005 11:24 AM PDT

The kimchee (kimchi) I tried in the Phillipines (from the Republic of Korea Air Force folks who lived next door to the barracks I lived in) was nowhere that watery. As the first of Steven's links points out, you need to drain the excess liquid before the final fermentation.

It's all yours, bro. I persuaded my wife (when she was less than sober) to try the stuff when we were stationed in Korea. She finally got over her ire last year - or 27 years after the fact. Devil

We already have 1,200 tons of nerve gas stored here in Indiana; why on earth would I want more WMD's in my life?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL!
by drpruner / April 6, 2005 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: DavE,
Collapse -
If you could have got her drunk enough again
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: DavE,

...she could have tried some of this kimchi too, lol.

DE

Collapse -
Another 27 years of occasional hell, DavE?
by Paul C / May 19, 2005 11:11 AM PDT

Until I'm 81? No thanks, buddy!

Collapse -
Get her buzzed up real good
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 12:17 PM PDT

and she won't even remember who to be mad at, lol.

DE

Collapse -
Sounds par for the course...
by Edward ODaniel / April 6, 2005 12:51 PM PDT

for a commercial "made in America by Americans" Korean staple.

There are actually several different types and some have more liquid than others but the best has very little excess liquid.

Korean field rations contain small cans of a red cabbage Kimchee and I remember sampling some while I was opcon to a ROC unit in the 60s. It was a sensation similar to eating Red Savana Habenero peppers and washing them down with Tobasco sauce and a similar sensation ensued later that was only peripherally related to eating as an end result.

What you got in the store was most likely a very mild version more closely related to sauerkraut (albeit more odorous) than a rather odious (for those around you who have not partaken) picante sauce.

Do yourself a favor though and skip the kimchee and locate a Vietnamese shop that sells Nuoc Mam (home made is better). It is a fish sauce made similar to kimchee but even more pungent.

Collapse -
Re: Nuoc Mam
by Paul C / April 9, 2005 10:15 AM PDT

I thought that stuff had been banned by international treaty? Wink

Thanks for reminding me of the only thing that is more vile than kimchi - other than balut, that is...

Collapse -
That red cabbage kimchi
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 6:51 AM PDT

sounds like one of those "come on ice cream!" dishes.

There's a Vietnamese shop in one of the towns I go to work from time to time but I'll not be trying nuoc mam. I talked to a fellow I sometimes see while working there and he said "they take fish heads, put salt on 'em, put them out in the sun to ferment, and catch the drippings. They pour the drippings on rice and I nearly puked the first time I smelled it!"

No nuoc mam for me!

DE

Collapse -
You could always come visit me.
by MarkatNite / April 6, 2005 4:22 PM PDT

As Doug noted, we got lots of that stuff here. But it's perhaps noteworthy that I've never seen it at any of our local Wal*marts.

Or you could use some OC spray instead of salad dressing - Mark

Collapse -
Look in the produce section
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 6:53 AM PDT

This was in a jar but refrigerated. Probably because it's highly explosive. Or this jar was at least.

DE

Collapse -
Dave...would that stuff be suitable to
by Jack Ammann / April 6, 2005 4:40 PM PDT

...pour down someone's air intake at the base of the windshield on his car....like his brand new Lexus?...LOL

Collapse -
If you did that
by David Evans / May 19, 2005 6:54 AM PDT

you could get a used Lexus cheap! It's high-powered garlic man, with hot pepper.

DE

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?