Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

KILLDISK HELP!!!

by wdplyr / December 22, 2005 10:05 PM PST

I'm selling my laptop and I've been searching and reading everything possible but I'm still a dummy. Can somebody please walk me thru Killdisk. I'm completely lost.

Or is there another program that's like Killdisk for Dummies or something?

I really need to clean this hard drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: KILLDISK HELP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: KILLDISK HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have never used it
by retired / December 23, 2005 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: KILLDISK HELP!!!
Collapse -
Answer:
by Paul C / December 23, 2005 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: KILLDISK HELP!!!

We are referring to the Killdisk program available at http://www.killdisk.com , right?

If so, it's easy (really):

1. Install the program on a floppy.

2. Insert the floppy in the laptop and reboot.

3. When the PC reboots, ignore all prompts and let the program run. Eventually, it'll display the blue screen with the drives listed on it.

4. Select the drive you want to wipe (I assume that we're talking about only one drive as it's a laptop; make sure that you select the drive if it's partitioned into more than one partition), and press F10.

5. Go make a sandwich while the program does its thing.

After Killdisk finishes, it'll popup a window telling you that. Follow the instructions to close the program, remove the floppy and reboot. You should get the "No operating system found" message on reboot.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Collapse -
I got this message too late and messed up EVERYTHING!
by wdplyr / December 23, 2005 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: Answer:

I installed Killdisk on to CD but it didn't work so I left the computer on and just started Killdisk.

Everything was going fine until the screen went black and it started reading this message:

PCI Fast Ethernet Controller
PXI...: Media Test Failure, Check cable
Exit PXE ROM

What do I do now!?

Collapse -
Seems fine to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2005 2:31 AM PST

Killdisk would erase the hard disk and those message might appear and the machine should not boot the Windows OS.

Nothing wrong from what I see.

Bob

Collapse -
So I need to reinstall the OS?
by wdplyr / December 23, 2005 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: Seems fine to me.

Then everything should be fine?

Collapse -
Whenever I turn the computer on
by wdplyr / December 23, 2005 2:49 AM PST

it just keeps running the same message over and over and over again. It won't stop. I can press F2 and go to BIOS but that's about it.

How do I get it to at least stop running the message? Someone recommended I go into safe mode but I can't do that if it's wiped out the OS correct?

Also if it's wiped out the OS then how do I reinstall it?

Collapse -
Depends on your goal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2005 2:49 AM PST

Your killdisk goal seems to be done.

Bob

Collapse -
WHAT?!?!?!!!
by wdplyr / December 23, 2005 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Depends on your goal.

You mean it's totally dead?!

I don't have a computer anymore?

Collapse -
Let's see what your goal was?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2005 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: WHAT?!?!?!!!

Killdisk will wipe the drive clean. That is, it won't boot to an OS since that's where the OS is.

You still have a computer, but your choice as to what OS to install.

Bob

Collapse -
I was literally about to cry!
by wdplyr / December 23, 2005 3:13 AM PST

I had Win XP Pro so I just want that back.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just reinstall Windows XP from your CDs.
by John.Wilkinson / December 23, 2005 3:27 AM PST
Collapse -
How To Install Windows XP Pro
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 23, 2005 3:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Get out your XP pro CD and reinstall
by glb613 / December 24, 2005 7:09 PM PST

I sure hope you have the disk. If you have one of those computers where the operating system, drivers and factory installed software were located on the hard drive, killdisk may have wiped it out. If that is the case, you get to purchase another copy of XP.

Collapse -
Any idea what the End explorer shell...
by caktus / December 26, 2005 6:37 AM PST

while killing file is for? And does Killbox also remove associated files?

Collapse -
Cactus, KillDISK Erases the Hard Drive ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 26, 2005 8:46 AM PST

...ALL files are gone after it's done..It's a hard drive eraser that erases partitions, formatted areas, unused space, etc. while booting from a floppy disk. See the links below:

http://www.killdisk.com/features.htm

http://www.killdisk.com/screenshots.htm

Killbox is a totally different type of tool. It's a tool for removing files that are inaccessible, either by killing the shell process (explorer) before deleting, or by setting files to be deleted on reboot.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Griff,
by caktus / December 26, 2005 9:53 AM PST

I see I got my Kill's mixed up.

Collapse -
KillDisk made Drive G disappear
by Thornblade / March 24, 2008 6:01 AM PDT

Ran KillDisk on my backup hard drive and the thing disappeared! Of course I didn't take the time to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. My main drive is fine. I just can't "see" Drive G when I open "My Computer" I'm running XP Professonal.

Collapse -
Killdisk Wiped All Partitions
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 7:27 AM PDT

...on the designated hard drive.. If the "G" drive was on a hard drive with other partitions, such as the C drive, then Killdisk did exactly as designed. It's gone. When you repartitioned, reformatted, and reinstalled XP, you made the choice as to which partitions to create and format and the final result may be a single "C" partition only, depending on how you did it...

On the other hand, if your "G" drive is a separate hard drive, then that's a different issue.. You'll need to explain a little more but if you've got a C drive running XP and a G drive which doesn't show up, then you'll need to format it before it will appear again. (Formatting is needed before it will show up in "My Computer".) Try checking "Disc Management" in the XP Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disc Management. If you can see the drive listed there as "unknown drive" or such, you can format it from there..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.