Speakeasy forum

General discussion

KFC

by David Evans / November 24, 2003 12:39 PM PST

I'm a redneck, so I like Kentucky Fried Chicken. But when I get a meal from there I'm always wondering two things:

1. Why do they give such tiny portions of mashed potatoes and coleslaw? There's just not enough there. Who came up with this portion control scheme? I don't know who made the decision, but I do know that it was NOT a redneck.

2. Why are the thigh portions not cut seperately from the back? The thighs are supposed to be seperate from those extra boney parts, that's how it's done at home, right? A thigh is supposed to have only one bone!

Two of life's mysteries I guess. There might be some reason for cutting the parts (thighs) all wrong, but why give such tiny rinky-**** portions of mashed potatoes and coleslaw? Those aren't expensive items. Of course you can order extra coleslaw and extra mashed potatoes, but they won't double up the portions on one plate so you can have the whole meal on one plate, you have to get *seperate containers* of coleslaw and potatoes if you want that. I know this because I tried today, lol.

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: KFC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: KFC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can have my coleslaw....
by Keith Marcotte / November 24, 2003 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: KFC

I don't like any except my mom's and my wife's. Happy

Collapse -
Re:KFC
by Edward ODaniel / November 25, 2003 12:02 AM PST

Hi Dave,

First, it is simply quicker and easier to cut the thighs that way with a cleaver. My "parts" gripe would have to do with KFC selling what they call "single breasts" (mostly ribs and backbone) and "breasts" (what we normally think of and contains the wishbone)--why not just call the ribs what they are?

Regarding portions there are two cures--one available most places is to use the buffet and forego carryout and the other is to somehow convince KFC to follow McDonald's lead and SUPERSIZE the portions if requested.

The original KFC franchises gave slightly larger portions and included biscuits and honey until the Yankees got theirselves involved and cut portions to increase profits.

PS - stay away from the coleslaw. Even in the old days you got a lot of free meat with it if you know what I mean.

Collapse -
:Re:KFC
by David Evans / March 6, 2004 8:46 PM PST
In reply to: Re:KFC

The single breast cuts you mentioned don't sit well with me either. If I had my druthers I'd have them cut the pieces up like we do at home.

Eating inside is one way to get around it all but I still wish I had the option of getting chicken with a real serving of mashed potatoes and coleslaw even if I get takeout.

You can still get honey with the biscuits here. I'd swap that for more taters and slaw!

What is the "free meat" in the coleslaw? Bugs, or something worse?? Bugs I can handle, lol.

DE

Collapse -
Re::Re:KFC
by Edward ODaniel / March 7, 2004 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: :Re:KFC

Try telling them that you want the meal on a plate and want double servings on the single plate and you want it to go. If they say they can't tell them you will just go to Lee's because although the chicken isn't as good they don't hesitate to make the extra profit by saving the excess containers.

I did and the manager laughed and went ahead and did it. Of course they know me in there as a regular.

Regarding the extra meat, cabbage tends to have worms that washing alone doesn't get rid of and tossing cored heads into the chopper simply disguises them, it doesn't remove them. If that doesn't bother you and you like the coleslaw go for it--mention it to whoever you are with though and often they let you have theirs. If they do, mention that the gravy seems "extra lumpy today" and they might give that up too. Happy

Collapse -
NT - Just a little extra protein ;-)
by Diana Forum moderator / March 7, 2004 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Re::Re:KFC

Collapse -
Re: Biscuits
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 7, 2004 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re:KFC

Hi, Ed.

If you want nice, spicy chicken and wonderful biscuits, skip KFC and head to Popeye's!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Just a matter of preference but KFC...
by Edward ODaniel / March 7, 2004 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Biscuits

Original Receipe beats Popeyes or Lee's every which way.

Collapse -
Look at the bright side
by Josh K / November 25, 2003 12:39 AM PST
Collapse -
A perk...
by Jmichaels / November 25, 2003 4:21 AM PST

Kinda nice when your meal smiles back at you...

Collapse -
I concur
by Cindi Haynes / November 25, 2003 4:05 AM PST

There are NOT enough taters and slaw!

I'm not a dark meat eater, so the thigh cut doesn't bother me, but those stinkin' pseudo breasts make me mad. There's like 2 bites on the thing.

Cindi

Collapse -
Our solution ...
by Evie / March 6, 2004 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: I concur

... we get the 3 piece breast and wing meal. Two small sides and a biscuit, you can get both slaw if ya like (hubby likes the beans, if I'm carbing it's the mac & cheese for me). Then we add a large side of taters and gravy. Best bang for the buck at KFC. Damn, now I wanna "cheat" today!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
My better solution.
by James Denison / March 6, 2004 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: Our solution ...

Popeyes Chicken.

Collapse -
(NT) No Popeyes in NE
by Evie / March 6, 2004 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: My better solution.

Collapse -
NT Evie! This thread was from last November. You're just now replying?? ;-)
by Cindi Haynes / March 7, 2004 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: Our solution ...

Collapse -
LOL!

I thought it sounded familiar. Didn't look at the date. If I look at the times, it appears DE is the one who replied to Ed first and popped it to the top for me!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
oooooooowweeeeeeeooooooo...
by Cindi Haynes / March 7, 2004 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: LOL!

Strange, but when I saw the thread, every post but yours was from last November. That's why I thought YOU had bumped it!

How bizarre.
Cindi

Collapse -
As long as we're redoing this old thread.
by James Denison / March 8, 2004 12:42 AM PST

If I remember, Dave E is somewhere like Texas or down south. I know there are Church's Chicken down there, and when I lived both in San Antonio and and Tampa I always prefered them. Also loved that buttered corn on the cob they served. I wonder if they still have that, haven't been to one in years since now in Maryland.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.