Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Keyboard typing wrong characters in some applications

by Crandaddy09 / October 10, 2009 11:30 AM PDT

This just started happening last week. When I type in some applications, I get a random string of characters. For example, when I type the same character ("t") in Word, I was getting this string of characters: "5467890-=mqwertyuiop[]asdfghjkl;?`\zxcvbn", which looks suspiciously like the order of keys across the keyboard. I'm seeing this problem in Word, Excel, iTunes, and some browser form fields, but not in the URL field of FireFox, or in the DOS prompt, for example.

I just bought a new keyboard (Logitech wireless) in case it's a hardware problem with the Dell original keyboard, and it's still happening even with the new keyboard. When I reboot, everything starts working fine again, until I go away for a while and come back. I'm running Vista Home Premium with SP 1 on a Dell DX061. The only changes I've made recently are re-installing Zone Alarm and adding a HP wireless networking card. Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard typing wrong characters in some applications
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard typing wrong characters in some applications
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's not a good sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 11:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Keyboard giving wrong characters
by MyMousePad / October 22, 2009 1:26 AM PDT

I have the same issue - just started a few weeks back.
Vista 64 Quad Core (Acer). I am running ZAES (Zone Alarm Extreme Security).
Tried all kinds of scans, have not found anything??
Somtimes it happens while I am at the computer also, even if I have not left it alone, like right in the middle of typing something. It also occurs when trying to login from the screen saver - thankful there is a screen keboard.

Would love to resolve this... could it be a Zone Alarm issue?

Collapse -
Zone Alarm is issue
by MyMousePad / October 22, 2009 1:46 AM PDT

After reading you are using ZA - I went to their fourm and found this, which i will try also.

"Yes, I am now 100% sure that it is the antikeylogger.
Ever since I disabled it on both machines, the problem did not occur any more"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?