Desktops forum

Question

Keyboard stops working

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this problem. I have a desktop HP Vista computer 2007. It has always worked wonderfully. But, all of a sudden, lately, my keyboard just stops working. I'll be on Facebook or surfing on Google and the keyboard stops working. I can't type or do anything. I thought that it might just be an on online thing so I went into notepad or even in the search area of the start button and still I can't type anything. After shutting down my computer for a few hours, the keyboard starting working again. Today, I was told by a few people to just smash the keyboard on the table. Low and behold that worked. That's why I can type right now!!!! But, who knows how long this will last. Do I need a new keyboard or is this more of an interior computer problem???? I would really appreciate anything suggestions that anyone would have.

Thanks again for all your help. It's greatly appreciated!!!

JPLD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard stops working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard stops working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Does the mouse still work?

In reply to: Keyboard stops working

The reason I ask is you want to make sure it's not an unresponsive PC and not just the keyboard. If just the keyboard, you replace it...plain and simple. Sticky keys on membrane types can do all sorts of weird things. But, if the mouse still works, the PC is probably not hung and a replacement keyboard is the obvious choice.

Collapse -
Does the mouse still work???

In reply to: Does the mouse still work?

Thank you so much for your quick reply as well as your helpful advice. All is greatly appreciated!!!

JPLD

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Hello

If your keyboard stopped working, there are a few things you can check to troubleshoot what the problem might be. Depending on the situation, You can try one of the following factor:- first, If your keyboard stopped working, did it happen while you were typing or did you notice it right after starting the computer up and second, what kind of keyboard connection are you using? Is it a USB keyboard, is it a wireless keyboard or is it a regular PS/2 keyboard Connection...

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try "burping" the kybd.

As already stated to you, replacing the kybd. would be an easy fix. Just find one that's similar or maybe slighlty more to your liking.

FYI- Well smashing is pretty much close to giving it a true breakdown. I assume "smashing" was an aggressive act. Next time, just "burp" the kybd. like a baby. Turn it over, and pat the kybd. backside with a few good smacks to loosen any crud, food, staples, hair and/or foreign substances. Shake it as well and notice the stuff that falls out onto the desk, worth noting. However, if this doesn't change the situation, replace.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Keyboard stops working

Chances are it's probably a faulty keyboard. Is it a wired or wireless keyboard? If it's wireless, first try swapping out the batteries and see if it helps.

I had a keyboard start doing weird things, stop responding, type letters that I wasn't typing, etc...I had an extra keyboard laying around, so I decided to swap it out. The other keyboard worked fine. However, when I picked up the original keyboard to swap it out, I found a small puddle of water underneath it. Ha..then I shook the keyboard and saw a few drops of water come out of the bottom. Sure enough, someone must have spilled water on my keyboard (I do have others using it now and then, including my little niece).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.