Computer Help forum

General discussion

Keyboard randomly lags when playing any game.

by GM Xenus / May 16, 2008 4:57 PM PDT

There are many definitions to keyboard lags so I will specify and be more specific.
When I am playing ANY game on my computer, or things that run the CPU at 100% anything (including the mouse) has a delayed reaction, then once it does press the button it seems to hold it in for a period of time, such as 4 ? 5 seconds.

Let me tell you, I have done everything I can. I am running out of ideas. The last thing I can think of is going on every single computer help forum I know and posting this question.
I DID have ATI Tray Tools, A program that is an alternative to ATI?s Catalyst Control Center. I do have both of them running. I also recently (due to reading some threads) uninstalled ATI Tray Tools. Problem still persists. I have reinstalled my Keyboard drivers, mouse drivers, video drivers, and reset ATI Catalyst to factoring settings, I?ve turned off the AGP speed (just to see what would happen) and it still persists.
Now you probably are saying ?AGP? How old is this computer?? The specifications of this computer are listed below:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard randomly lags when playing any game.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard randomly lags when playing any game.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My guess is you've found your own problem
by Steven Haninger / May 16, 2008 8:46 PM PDT

High CPU usage forces other interrupt requests to the back burner. input devices such as keyboard and mouse get low priority. You can probably look for some unneeded services or startup items to free up some CPU cycles. I'd look specifically for services that might activate at intervals such as to check your email, perform updates, etc. You can view the task manager during idle times to see what might start using the CPU occasionally.

Collapse -
CachemanXP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2008 11:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
The problem seems to be fixed.
by GM Xenus / May 17, 2008 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: CachemanXP

I did a system restore to the time before I upgraded to SP3...

The lag does not appear to happen anymore.

That sucks seeing as an update can cause lag I'm not sure what else I can't update on this computer.

Probablly going to leave it un upgraded for awhile and just see what happens.

I will post again if the problem hasn't gone away.

Thanks for the suggestions. Happy

Collapse -
It would be fun to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 3:02 AM PDT

Clean up all that optional stuff. I pinned cachemanxp since I'm tossed it out because it helped in too many cases. The theory is that it's freeing memory and then the hard disk is then being read to get the dll that was just tossed back into ram. The SP3 from what I read could have changed memory management again so your choice here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?