Computer Help forum

General discussion

Keyboard problems

by xxmuppetxx / November 29, 2009 8:13 AM PST

Right well this isn't on my computer it's actually on my dreaded step-brothers(DSB) computer. First let me explain the situation so you'll understand more. MY DSB decided it would be good to go on certain explicit material and switching off the firewall beforehand. Well I think I've just about got all the viruses off the computer and got avg up and scanning. At one point the LTDR CD drive thingy wasn't working because of code 41...had to delete the upper filters in the registry...and the cd drive started working but now the keyboard doesn't. Normally you go into your list of hardware and pop in the disk and the computer will find the info it needs automatically. However, the keyboard doesn't show up. Also when I try to use the keyboard on my DSB's computer it freezes up the whole system. This is odd considering that the computer wont start up without the keyboard plugged in and then you have to press f1 to get it to load up.
His computer is a VT8363 with a 1x AMD Duron (tm) processor and windows xp 64 professional.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Another thing
by xxmuppetxx / November 30, 2009 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: Keyboard problems

I don't think it's a virus because malwarebyte's, avg and super anti-spyware has stopped picking things up on the computer. However now the computer wont enable pc tools firewall for some reason.
Also with the keyboard thing I forgot to mention that I have to press f1 on the keyboard if I've tried loading the computer up without the keyboard plugged in. This is because the computer wont load up without the keyboard so it obviously recognizes it just wont let it work or install....
I think I've confused myself but hopefully not somebody who can help me.
Thanks in advance as always

Collapse -
Hey I have a machine like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Keyboard problems

It was a special machine (free is special.) Ok it took a week for me to figure out that in this machine's BIOS I had to boot with a PS2 connected keyboard, get to the BIOS to enable USB keyboard support and disable USB mouse support.

Then it would boot fine with only the USB keyboard.

Sorry to read about the other issues but hope this gives you an idea to try.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks bob as always
by xxmuppetxx / November 30, 2009 12:31 AM PST

I'll have a look and see if it might be applicable with his computer. I'll post back once I've looked for ya.

Collapse -
Thankyou indeedy
by xxmuppetxx / December 2, 2009 7:09 AM PST

That worked for the keyboard and after that I did a disk check on the c drive and it's fixed the firewall issue. I don't get what was wrong with that but it's fixed and my DSB has got his computer back and isn't whining in my ear anymore about not having it.

Collapse -
Thanks for the report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2009 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Thankyou indeedy

Always nice to read when it helped!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.