HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Keyboard Problem

by gamingx / October 16, 2007 1:07 AM PDT

Hello everyone,
This is a first time for me on the CNET forums, though I have been a member on CNET for quite sometime. Let's get to the problem.
I am triple booting my system with Windows XP, Ubuntu 7.0.4 and Fedora 7.Yesterday I noticed that my keyboard no longer works during startup i.e when my system boots up, and I want to choose a different operating system from the grub (bootloader for the three operating systems)the keyboard does not respond. The default entry for the grub is Windows XP. So I have to wait for 9 secs (default) for Windows to boot up. But I am unable to select Ubuntu or Fedora, or for that matter I am unable to do anything with the keyboard during boot. I can't even enter the Bios setup. I thought this was a hardware problem and that probably my keyboard was malfunctioning. The keyboard was a USB Keyboard. But then I replaced it with a P/S 2 Keyboard, but no luck. So, I am left with nothing but XP. Anyone has answers to this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe...
by samusgravity / October 17, 2007 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Keyboard Problem

The triple-boot may be causing the problem. If you are willing to remove one of the operating systems, your keyboard may begin to work again during boot. I have heard about various problems with triple booting, some with hardware failures, some with software failures. Only delete the OS if you are an experienced user.

NOTE: If you do choose to delete one of the OS, make sure to back up all of the files on the drive (pictures, documents)through window's "My Computer". One thing worse than losing an OS is losing memories!!!

Collapse -
Why three?
by BrianZachary / October 17, 2007 8:21 AM PDT

Is there a reason you have three different operating systems? I'm just curious because Ubuntu and Fedora are both Linux based. You never said if the keyboard works after the operating system is loaded. I assume so since you typed your post, unless you used a different computer.

Collapse -
As
by PKsteven / October 17, 2007 8:35 AM PDT

stated, it's most likely a Linux combo. When I loaded PCLOS with Fedora, I began losing my keyboard until I booted into Windows. So perhaps it's a Fedora issue? I began having keyboard trouble with Ubuntu and Fedora too, so I only have Ubuntu now and have no issue. Of course the problem being, you don't have a keyboard. However, it may be your bios needs to be reset to default...how without a keyboard?

I first suggest before removing OSs, take the side off the PC, or whatever you have, and remove CMOS battery for about 10 seconds to reset the bios and this may give you keyboard functions back.

Another option, boot from Ubuntu live CD and see if you get functions although if bios isn't set to boot from CD you may not be able to.

You can manually remove the partition in Windows but this will likely effect both linux distros as the config and menu.lst files are configured for both OSs.

I have a million ways to fix a grub but if you have no keyboard, this leaves you limited. I will do some more checking to see if removing the partitions is the LAST resort.

Paul

Collapse -
Solved the problem
by gamingx / October 18, 2007 2:43 AM PDT

Thanks for the help guys, really helped me out.....I tried out comicfan's suggestion of removing the battery for sometime and then restarting. The keyboard works perfectly fine though. As for the question regarding why I am using two Linux distros is because I actually installed Ubuntu first, then my brother insisted that I install Fedora because he wants to run something called NCTUNS, which he says works only on Fedora. So I was left with no other option but to install Fedora. Thanks once again guys, I hope this problem does not occur again.....

Collapse -
NP
by PKsteven / October 20, 2007 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Solved the problem

Just a note, many people run more than one Linux distro, not uncommon at all. I "had" Fedora and Ubuntu as well. Different distros can be used for different things, I used Fedora more for a "work" OS and let my wife have Ubuntu for all the fun stuff I guess you could say. Especially if you "just like" more than one particular distro, you can have both or more.

Cheers,

Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.