Computer Help forum

General discussion

Keyboard not working.

by cooler63 / December 3, 2008 10:28 PM PST

I'm doing a clean install of Vista 64bit and I reached the page where I have to enter a computer name and password and my keyboard does not work.
It's a 5 year old HP ps2 keyboard that works with my other older computers but not with my new build.
I cannot get into the Bios and when I power up I receive a "Keyboard Detected press F1 to resume" message and than go into Vista set up.
I used the on screen keyboard to enter Vista ID numbers but cannot get past the give computer a name and password page.
I tried using a USB/PS2 adapter in all the USB ports but nothing gets the KB working. The USB ports work fine with my USB mouse.
The keyboard lights up briefly when I plug in the PS2 and the USB but does not work.
Do I need a new KB that is 64bit compatible?
The mobo is Asus and their tech had me clear the CMOS but that did not help so I returned the PQ5 SE2 for another and I still have the same problem.
I've tried connecting two older KB that are in working order but do not work with my build.
Does anyone have a clue as to the problem?
Asus PQ5 SE2 mobo
Intell Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor
WD 1TB HD Caviar Green
8 GB Ram 667mhz (four 2 GB dimms)
Nivida 1GB GeForce 9500GT Graphics card
Pioneer DVD/CD player
950 Watts PS
Firewire Card
USB Port Card
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard not working.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard not working.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Summary.
by Kees Bakker / December 3, 2008 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Keyboard not working.

- This keyboard doesn't work with 2 motherboards (both Asus PQ5 SE2).
- This keyboard does work at another machine.
- Two other keyboards don't work either with both motherboards.
- These two other keyboards work also at another machine.
Right?

The interesting question: why can't you get into the BIOS? Do you press the correct key? Apparently F1 works (No keyboard detected, press F1 to continue) if you press it, so one expects the F2 or F10 or del or whatever-it-is key to work also. Then you should be able to check the keyboard in the BIOS setup program.

If this motherboard has a PS/2 connection for the keyboard, I'd use that, even if the mouse works with USB. That's all I can offer.

Kees

Collapse -
Keyboard not working
by cooler63 / December 4, 2008 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: Summary.

Keyboard does not work either in PS2 or USB mode.
I tried F1, DEL and every other key.
I was talking to someone at Micro Center who said Vista 64bit does not contain drivers for PS2.
I bought a Vista compatible KB with a USB connection and will try again.
Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
Keyboard Not Working Fixed
by cooler63 / December 4, 2008 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Keyboard not working

Apparently Vista 64bit does not contain drivers for PS2 devices.
I bought a Adesso Vista Compatible USB Keyboard for $15.00 and when I booted up it came alive and I was able to finish my clean install.

Collapse -
Thanks for telling.
by Kees Bakker / December 4, 2008 8:51 PM PST

My only experience with Vista is with my son's laptop. And that, of course, has an integrated keyboard. If you had posted in the Vista forum, you might have gotten a speedier answer.

Anyway, glad it's solved.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.