General discussion

Keyboard & Mouse won't function

I'm old and tired. When you're past seventy and new-fangled machinery stops working you don't feel much like blazing a trail and making a name for yourself in the latest technology. What's the point? Just get someone to help, or even do it for you.

So I fixed my errant PC (which wouldn't start Windows up [again]) by employing the regular trick of taking the side off and pressing all plugs I could see and touch firm into their sockets; and then as usual Windows started up OK. Easy. Works every time. But this time when I went to click my name-icon to move from the administrator's screen the mouse arrow would not move.

In fact, with both keyboard and mouse, nothing worked. I exchanged both with those on my No. 2 machine - Nothing.
We've all encountered this minor problem, but it normally rights itself following restart and/or changing the gear - but not this time.

So I'm now on this old and slow No. 2
What can I do, What can I do?
Please help me do.

Windows XP Home, 129 gig, loads of free everything.
Been working like a dream for seven months, since the last lapse.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Keyboard & Mouse won't function
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Keyboard & Mouse won't function
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tell a little more.

If this is some USB MOUSE (your post doesn't tell) then try it in each USB port.

Be sure to unplug that USB MOUSE then count to 5 or 10 then put it in the next port. Then wait about 1 minute for Windows to find and get it setup.

Hope this helps,
Bob

- Collapse -
USB Port

If problem still arise, maybe the USB Port of your Mouse and Keyboard are defective.

CNET Forums

Forum Info