Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

keyboard/mouse doesn't work - SynTP.sys thinkpad lenovo prob

by bubu1004 / July 18, 2008 1:19 PM PDT

I have a thinkpad lenovo r61.
Yesterday, I deleted some registry files named Upperfilters and lowerfilters on my computer to get my cd-drive working again.
WHen I re-booted, my touchpad and my keyboard no longer works.
It's not that they are disconnected or anything because the keyboard works fine in BIOS and even when I'm in windows and just trying to use the Fn shortcuts on the Lenovo keyboard.
However, I cannot move my cursor not can I type or do anything with the actual windows xp.
When I shut down by pressing down the power button,
it sometimes shows a blue screen of death where it says an error in
SynTP.sys

WHat do you think the problem is?

THank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: keyboard/mouse doesn't work - SynTP.sys thinkpad lenovo prob
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: keyboard/mouse doesn't work - SynTP.sys thinkpad lenovo prob
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: syntp.sys
Collapse -
hi
by bubu1004 / July 18, 2008 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: syntp.sys

thank you for the reply
Once I get past the boot-up, I cannot use my keyboard. Is there a BIOS-type shortcut to pulling up my command prompt? I can get past the log-on screen because of my fingerprint software but then I cannot move my mouse nor use my keyboard to do anything.

Collapse -
Did you try already.
by Kees Bakker / July 19, 2008 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

The MSKB article says to boot in Safe Mode with command prompt. It could very well be your keyboard works then.

If not, a repair install of Windows XP seems the thing to do to me.

Kees

Collapse -
SynTP.sys is a touchpad driver file
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 7:15 PM PDT

What was that full error message?

Your options depends on what you did.

Do you have a System Restore point to go back to, prior to amending the registry? If so, that may restore the touchpad and keyboard back to working order. You may need to boot up into Safe Mode to do this.

Did you backup the registry before making changes to it? If so, you can restore the changes you made.

Other options;

1] See if the SynTP.sys service has been disabled in the Services Console. (Start > Run, type in services.msc), look for the SynTP.sys service and reset it to automatic.

2] Use another computer to visit Lenovo's web site and search for the SynTP.sys driver for your model number. Download it and copy it to a disk or flash drive, and transfer it to the Lenovo. The process may be easier if you had a USB mouse you can attach to the Thinkpad.

Mark

Collapse -
umm
by bubu1004 / July 19, 2008 12:02 AM PDT

thanks for the reply

I do have Window system restore point I can go back to.
However, I cannot access it. See, I can't go to start-run-services.msc
because keyboard and mouse does not work at all including USB mouses.
I don't think #2 would work as well because there would be no way to install the transferred driver as I can't move or type or do anything.

Is there a BIOS type command prompt that I can use before I go into Windows xp screen to do system restore or something along those lines?

Collapse -
Try LAST KNOWN GOOD BOOT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 12:56 AM PDT

sorry but I can't see where you tried that.

Collapse -
yes
by bubu1004 / July 19, 2008 1:09 AM PDT

did try last good configuration, debugging mode ..did not work.
did try to use that NT password/registry editor bootdisc
that you had a link for on another reply but have no idea
what to do when you get into the registry editor.
Is there any way you can help me with that? I mean, I did go on
a massive rampage deleting lower filters and upper filters wherever
I can find them so it might be hard to recover them manually -
almost close to impossible right? damn it.

RIght now, trying to repair using windows xp cd after
switching SATA to compatibility mode in BIOS.
Even in safe mode, cannot move mouse or keyboard.
Will try safe mode with command prompt again although
it probably did not work last time.

thank you.

Collapse -
Looks grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

The ONLY fix I know of is mildly expensive and very time consuming. That is I install a new hard disk, install the OS and then start exporting keys that have to do with the keyboard and putting those into the failed registry with whatever tool I happen to be able to use.

Let me be frank. I can't teach this here and even your average IT staffer can't do this. This is why we backup, learn about USB disk drive enclosures and more.
Bob

Collapse -
last try
by bubu1004 / July 19, 2008 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks grim.

so last things I'm trying are

doing the windows xp recovery ... which I have to ask my school for the administrativge password

trying to use REscue and recovery function for lenovo - anybody know if I can install stuff from that screen so I can update drivers?

what's the deal with USB disk enclosuers? would I still be able to transfer files smoothly from the laptop to the desktop even if the laptop haddrive is all screwed up like this?

thanks for all for attempths to help me.

Collapse -
"what's the deal with USB disk enclosuers? would I still be
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: last try

"what's the deal with USB disk enclosuers? would I still be able to transfer files smoothly from the laptop to the desktop even if the laptop haddrive is all screwed up like this?"

Exactly. We use these to get access to drives to save the owner's files BEFORE we do anything.
Bob

Collapse -
I have to ask my school for the administrativge password
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: last try

Is this laptop from school?

If so, then all bets are off. You need to seek the school's IT expert help to fix this.

Mark

Collapse -
"I have to ask my school for the administrativge password"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 4:37 AM PDT

Ouch. Forget all I wrote since my advice is for machines we own and control.
Bob

Collapse -
lenovo thinkpad r61
by bubu1004 / July 21, 2008 4:39 AM PDT

lenovo thinkpad r61's hidden partition for Rescue and Recovery is a savior. Just a few days before all this, I was thinking of deleting that hidden partition for the 4GB it was taking up but imagine that.
It allowed me to connect to the internet with its browser andrescue files from the hard-drive to my USbs so I won't miss them after I formatted everything. i was so thankful I was crying. people,
DO NOT DELETE THAT partition! Format did take like 20 boot-ups and about 3-4 hours but it was worth it.
And I'm 100% sure I clicked the option - bring back C:Drive to factory setting and leave D:drive alone but just in case, I rescued all my important files in D before I did this.
Not surprisingly, everything in the D-drive was gone when all the formatting finished.
So rememeber to rescue your files!!

This will teach me not to mess around with the registry, damn. That was a horrible waste of Friday and Saturday trying to find a way to recover my files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.