Computer Help forum

General discussion

Keyboard, mouse

My computer works, my monitor works, speakers, printer, but all of a sudden the keyboard and mouse are not working. I need help in knowing what to do. The hard drive is running and I can power on/off to verify that, the monitor just says check signal source cable? I have verified both mouse and keyboard are connected correctly to the pc. What else can I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard, mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard, mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make and model?

In reply to: Keyboard, mouse

Of PC, and operating system. USB or PS/2 mouse/keyboard? What do you mean, exactly, by "not working"?

More information will get more help.

Collapse -
Re: Keyboard, mouse

In reply to: Keyboard, mouse

"the monitor just says check signal source cable"

That indicates the monitor is not talking to the computer. Apart from the previous suggestion for more system information, it appears your system is not making it through the initial boot up. With just this little bit of information sounds like a possible hardware problem. You should see something on the screen before you ever get to type anything in or get the cursor for mouse use.

Was everything working and then the mouse and keyboard hung up?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Keyboard, mouse

My system is 3 years old. It is a Gateway 7000. I have had no prior problems at all. I logged off the system as I do everyday before leaving for work and when I came home the mouse nor keyboard worked. At first I just got the message on screen saying it was in save power mode as it always does but when I tap the space bar it has always came on but not this time. After checking the cables and rebooting I got the message from self diagnostic on screen saying no signal source check cable. Thank you for responding and whatever info else that would help you to help me, please let me know.

Carol Eads
ceads@sonet.net

Collapse -

maybe your Video card went south?

Collapse -

Carol

Mentioned on another post that Video card may have failed. But I would like for you to try something totaly off the wall. Un-Plug the system from the wall for about one hour.

Their is something about the sleep mode affecting the M/B.
(Will need comments and corrections from others on this statement, Thanks all) By un-pluging the system you allow a re-set.

keep us posted

Bill

Collapse -

I will try this also. My computer is at home. I am using my work computer at the current time. I will try this tonight and let you guys konw. Thanks for the responses and help.

Collapse -

Update on Problem - I did as suggested and unplugged my system from the wall. ( I cannot power off system by pressing button , it will not let me, the light just stays green no matter how many times you press it). After leaving unplugged all night, I plugged it back in and the mouse and the red light flickered for a second, the keyboard lights did not come on at all. The monitor says " self diagnostics- no signal - check signal cable. Then after a few seconds screen displays DVI - power saving mode. ????
Can you help me with this?
Thanks,
Carol

Collapse -

Assuming you have completely powered down the system since then, sleep mode should be disabled on initial boot up. See if it will go into setup (Probably Del key or one of the Function keys). If it does not, and you still have the error message on the screen, then it may well be the video card. Does the keyboard likes blink when you power on prior to or following the screen error? If yes keyboard is responding to boot sequence.

Get a cheap video PCI card at your local electronic parts outlet, swap shop etc. and see if the screen comes alive, if yes get a new video card.

Collapse -

The keyboard lights do not come up when rebooting nor does the mouse show the red light as before. Do you still think maybe the video card? Will this be easy to replace for me?

Collapse -

Sorry to say, but to me it now sounds like a Power supply problem. Sounds like the motherboard is not getting any power, thus no video signal, no keyboard or mouse lights.

Hard drive might spin up if it is still getting power. In other words, only PART of the Power supply has gone bad.

If you want to try, unplug the computer from the wall, open the computer case, and find the cable that goes from the the power supply to the motherboard. Make sure that cable is firmly pluggin into the motherboard.

Put the case back together, plug in, and see what happens. If it didn't change things, you probably need to change either the power supply, or the motherboard is dead. You could try the power supply on another board, but you would also risk possible damage to that other motherboard. YOU have to make that decision. Or try using the motherboard with another power supply you know is good.

Good luck.

Larry Bell

Collapse -

Do you still think maybe the video card? Will this be easy to replace for me?

I think it is worth changing out the video card with a cheap one to see if that is the problem.

I don't know if it will be easy, but many have learned to do these things without being hardware or software experts. Open the case with the power off and see if you can identify the video card. If you cannot, probably you should get some help.

To just test your video card all you need to do is to plug another cheap PCI video card into one of the PCI slots. If you do not know which is the AGP and which are the PCI slots, look at your manual or get some help. Put the PCI video card in. You then connect your monitor cable to that card's plug. You can leave your existing video card in for this test. When you power up, if its your old video card, then you will get something on the screen in basic VGA mode. You can then just shut down and go get a replacement for your existing video card (in the AGP slot). If its the exact same type of card, all you do is swap them out and you should be back in business.

If you buy a different one or if your video is integrated on your motherboard, then you have to uninstall the old software drivers and then go through the instructions for adding your new video card drivers. If the video is integrated in your motherboard, you may have to disable it in the setup routine as well.

Take your time, go slowly and step by step.

Use an old video card to see if the basic VGA functionality works, which says your existing card is bad.

Using that card or a new one, let it boot up and then remove or uninstall the old one's drivers. Use control panel - add remove hardware as a way to do this.

Power down remove the old card if you haven't already and boot up and install the new video drivers for your new card according to the instructions provided.

Collapse -

Everyone is focusing on the video card when the orginal post (and a couple after) mention the keyboard and mouse problems also.

They say there are no lights on the keyboard or mouse. THAT is indicating that they are not getting power. If the keyboard and mouse are not getting power, the motherboard is not getting power (so of course the video card won't have power, and you won't have a display image either. DUH! )

The problem is either a dead motherboard, bad power supply (only partly working), or bad connection from power supply to motherboard.

Foget about the video card. That is NOT the problem.

Collapse -

Yes could easily be the power supply. However, on boot up the keyboard and mouse power up following pass through video check (in order). If it does not make it through video check, no flashing lights on either (at least on my machine). I suppose the keyboard num, caps and scroll lock keys should be checked after boot sequence starts to see if they can be enabled and disabled to observe their lights.

If no lights - not sure which first. Power supply and video card are cheap. Of course if keyboard and mouse are USB then whole new set of possibilities?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.