HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Keyboard locking up PC

by Moparkatt / June 4, 2008 12:46 AM PDT

Dell 2400. Qwest DSL. Win XP.
While my son was online and transferring music to his mp3 player, he lost the internet connection.
After he logged out (we have multiple accounts) I logged in and tried to access the modem. No dice. I tried to do the Qwest quickcare and it said I needed to renew my IP addy.
Followed instructions and it rebooted fine but still no internet.
Qwest care again and it said there was something wrong with the TCP (?) stacking. Went through the prompts and rebooted.
Got to the logon screen and if I touch ANY of the keyboard keys the PC stops responding. I have one account that does not have password requirement but it is only a guest - no admin rights - account.
I can get in with the mouse but even after the PC fully loads if I touch a keyboard key it locks up. Only way to get out is to turn off the PC by the button on the front of the tower.
Please help - how do I get my keyboard to work again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard locking up PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard locking up PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried A Different Keyboard? Or Different Type of Keyboard?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Keyboard locking up PC

If your keyboard is a PS2 keyboard, try borrowing a different one to see if that fixes the issue. Or if your's is a USB keyboard, try swapping in a PS2 keyboard..

Can you log in with the default "administrator" log in? Restart the computer into Safe Mode, then select the "administrator" profile.. If you've not previously set a password, leave it blank, then log in.. Does the keyboard work now?

As to the internet, if you haven't already, turn off the computer, then turn OFF (unplug if necessary) the DSL modem and/or router.. Wait ten minutes.. Now, in this order, restart the modem first.. Wait two minutes, then restart the router (if you have one), wait two minutes, then restart the computer. Do you now have internet?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Keyboard kills PC
by Moparkatt / June 4, 2008 5:03 AM PDT

Standard keyboard - not USB. I have tried 2 others. No luck. When booting cannot get PC to respond to keyboard (i.e. hold F2 or F11 or whatever).
Once you touch the keyboard - all fails to respond.

Cannot get into PC unless use mouse.

I have reset the modem but now my problem is more major. Since I cannot get into my admin account (because it has a password) I cannot find out if the modem setting are okay.

Collapse -
"When booting cannot get PC to respond to keyboard
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Keyboard kills PC
Collapse -
Keyboard kills PC
by Moparkatt / June 4, 2008 6:14 AM PDT

If the fuse were blown - does this happen randomly?

The keyboard actually stops the operating system dead in it's tracks.

Is this the same thing?

Collapse -
Could be. Armed with those links...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Keyboard kills PC

You could determine if that's the cause.

Collapse -
Code 19 keyboard error
by Moparkatt / June 4, 2008 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Keyboard locking up PC

Finally got into seeing the keyboard and it states:
Windows could not start device because of incomplete or damaged configuration or information (in registry). Code 19.

I uninstalled then reinstalled but that did not help.

How can I fix the registry?

Collapse -
Does it work in safe mode?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Code 19 keyboard error

But for me the REAL CLUE was you couldn't get to the BIOS. Since you can't that points to a real hardware failure. I shared the most common fixable one I run into.

Collapse -
Can the files be saved?
by Moparkatt / June 5, 2008 2:12 AM PDT

So in other words my PC is SNAFU.

If I take this in to a PC doctor, could they save the files and rebuild the machine? (in your opinion)

Collapse -
To save files I...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 3:52 AM PDT

I remove the drive and save it for use LATER after the machine is fixed. Why I do this is that repair shops are notorious for total wipe outs. Keeping the drive safe keeps what files remain safe.

Since you can't get into the BIOS this is why I'm fixating on the hardware.

Collapse -
Removing hard drive
by Moparkatt / June 5, 2008 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: To save files I...

Okay for the somewhat non-PC person. Is it difficult to remove the hard drive? I don't want to totally screw this thing up.

Collapse -
Usually very easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing hard drive

If you can identify a Philips screwdriver then you are likely able to do this. If not, ask they remove it prior to repair to keep it safe. Also you can ask them to not touch it but put it into some USB EXTERNAL HARD DISK ENCLOSURE (see google as it's a common device.)
Bob

Collapse -
ESD bag
by Moparkatt / June 5, 2008 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Usually very easy.

I have an ESD bag - got it from my last job. I can solder a PC but heck it I know how to run it.
I'll look into a removal of the hard drive and find a local "doctor" to fix the PC.
Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.