Computer Help forum

Keyboard Issue on a Toshiba Satellite c55t-c5300 Laptop

by NightWolf9909 / July 1, 2016 8:09 AM PDT

I am no longer able to type double letters/numbers or even use the backspace or arrow keys properly. If I try to type double letters (for example, the t's in letter), I have to either hit the space bar and then the backspace key to get the cursor back to the proper position after the first t to continue typing the next t or I have to arrow back to just before the first t that I typed so that it will allow me to type the second t then hit the END key to get the cursor back to the correct position to continue typing. (Hopefully that made sense!)

But the really strange, and frustrating, part about this is that this issue does not happen if I hold down the shift key while I type.

I have already tried the following in hopes of correcting this issue:
Adjust my key's typing delay speed - no change
Turn of my filter/sticky keys - no change
Clean out my keyboard - no change
Uninstall my keyboard driver and reboot - no change
Perform a system reset - no change

Anyone have additional ideas to solve this problem or what the issue may be?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard Issue on a Toshiba Satellite c55t-c5300 Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard Issue on a Toshiba Satellite c55t-c5300 Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: keyboard issue
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 1, 2016 8:19 AM PDT

If the same happens when using an external USB keyboard, it could be a software or setting issue. Then go back to factory conditions and try again.

If an external keyboard functions OK, try replacing the keyboard in the laptop.

Collapse -
Re: Keyboard Issues
by NightWolf9909 / July 1, 2016 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: keyboard issue

I did a system reset. No change to the issue.
I haven't tried the external keyboard approach yet simply because I do not have one and am trying to avoid buying on just to test this theory. If I don't come up with any other suggestions, I will definitely try that before contacting Toshiba to repair the laptop (Thankfully it's still under warranty).

Collapse -
Most repair shops have externals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2016 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Keyboard Issues

Here these are a 10 buck item but the service counter is 150USD min charge. For me, it's cheaper to DIY repair (buy the keyboard for testing.)

I understand folk do not want to buy a Volt meter too but when you are getting into repair, basic gear is needed unless you want to take a chance.

In this case it's not a big loss either way. 10 buck keyboard for test or 15 dollars for a keyboard at

I see the keyboard removal at the 2:30 mark at so it looks like a 10 minute job once you get your new keyboard.

So there it is. About 15 to 25 dollar job.

ONE LAST THING. Is it in warranty?

Collapse -
PS. Forgot to write about the odds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2016 8:53 AM PDT

From my past experience I always test with the external first. If the external works then a new keyboard has fixed it up hundreds of times. The only two times it did not was when the laptop had been flooded with juice or soda. This is still worth trying yourself since the OOW (out of warranty) costs tend to run well over 100.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?