Question

Keyboard doesn't work

Microsoft wireless 4000 keyboard on a desktop PC. Tried using other keyboards PS\2 and USB, same results. PC games WSAD does not work. Some web sites I hit letters, I get numbers. I tried MSKEY it shows that I hit letters, I get numbers. I tried every fix that I could find on the net and nothing works. Don't know what else to do. Help?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Keyboard doesn't work
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Keyboard doesn't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is this just web sites

or is it all typing, eg in emails, or in a word processor, Notepad, and so on?

If just web sites, which browser are you using? Have you tried other browsers?

What OS and other specs of your computer?

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer to clarification request

Hello Mark.
It is NOT all typing. I am typing this just fine using the USB keyboard. It is not just web sites. I have Bioshock 2. I've been playing it for some time. Then one day, I tried to play it and the WASD no longer works. It cycles through the weapons as if i'm hitting numbers. Same with Portal2. i hit W and it sticks on walking forward. I normally use Google Chrome, good idea testing other browsers. I went to tv.clicker.com and did a search. From Google and Firefox the letters type as numbers. IE 9 types letters. INTERESTING. I am using Windows 7 64 bit desktop PC. I built the PC from HP parts about 2 years ago.

- Collapse -
New information

Hello again.

<div>While playing around I had discovered this. I opened Battle: Los Angeles and could not move the character. However while I held down the left ALT key then tried WASD and the character would move. I release the ALT key the character would not move but cycle through his weapons. More testing showed that the character moved while holding down either the left or right ALT or CTRL keys. I verified this in MSKEYS. While holding down any of these 4 keys (and later on I discovered that it also works if I hold down the Windows or the menu content keys) the letters would type as they should. When I release these keys the letters would type as numbers again. WEIRD!!
</div>

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you checked to see ...
- Collapse -
Reply to clarification

Hello Edward.
I saw this support link. I am using the correct US Windows 7 layout.
Thanks

- Collapse -
Answer
Found the solution!

I am so frakking happy right now. I used AdvancedSystem Care's uninstaller program. I found 3 different anti maleware programs and uninstalled them. I found what was suppose to be an anti keylogger but there was no mention of the company or anything like that. I uninstalled that and 3 web players that I don't use. Walla! After the reboot the MSKEY test was positive! I've just finished playing Battlefield 2 WSAD works! I am so happy now. Thanks for all of your help!

CNET Forums