Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

Question

Keyboard compatibility for Samsung smart TV's??

Jun 22, 2013 8:24AM PDT

I have Samsung smart tv UN55F6350AF. Can the Samsung rep tell me which keyboards work with my set
and a little about the keyboard features?

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Keyboard Compatibility for Samsung Smart TV
Aug 30, 2016 9:15AM PDT

I have a Samsung Smart TV J5200 5 Series. I am looking for a wireless keyboard with touchpad or mouse. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

- Collapse -
2 things.
Aug 30, 2016 9:35AM PDT

1. Check the samsung.com page on your model. Look under accessories. If Samsung has one, it's there.

2. Check out the Logitech k400 Pro. I own one.

Now about compatibility. I find this to work but if an app is not written correctly the keyboard won't work. This is not the keyboard's fault.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Keyboard for Samsung UE40h7000

Hi

I would be grateful if someone could confirm whether the Logitech K400 keyboard is compatible with a Samsung UE40h7000 smart TV please or could someone recommend if any other products are better suited?

Many thanks for your help.

- Collapse -
In case no one replies. Here's the test.
Jan 16, 2017 9:07AM PST

Go find any PC USB keyboard and test if that works. If it does, the K400 Plus seems to always work.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
A functioning keyboard for a Samsung JS8000 series smart TV
Mar 19, 2017 7:48AM PDT

Does anyone have ever tried a FULL FUNCTION or at least relatively satisfying functionality of a keyboard (with touch-pad) with a non-Android Samsung smart TV? in my case a JS8000 series TV
some examples: Logitech K810, living room keyboard K830, etc ...
Many thanks

- Collapse -
My experience is that
Mar 19, 2017 8:06AM PDT

If any USB keyboard works, then the k400 and such will too.

BUT there can be apps that don't work with the keyboard and for that you yelp at the app author and Samsung.

- Collapse -
thanks
Mar 19, 2017 8:39AM PDT

thanks, i wish i can also hear from a user experience. especially in regard to touch-pad etc ... thanks again for comment

- Collapse -
The touch pad here
Mar 19, 2017 9:16AM PDT

Works like a mouse so if the common USB mouse works, then the pad works.

- Collapse -
KS8000 and K830
Mar 19, 2017 9:42AM PDT

I have a Samsung KS8000 TV and a Logitech K830 keyboard. The K830 works with the TV (all keys including touchpad) but for some reason it will not pair with the TV's bluetooth, it will only work with the unifying receiver plugged into one of the TV's USB ports.

- Collapse -
Bluetooth should not pair with a lot of things.
Mar 19, 2017 9:52AM PDT

It appears to be for audio use, not HID devices.

- Collapse -
Maybe...
Mar 19, 2017 10:03AM PDT

Well, the K830 will pair with my Samsung Android S5 phone just fine, so... But the TV is not Android, so I guess they don't have that functionality built into the TV's OS. If you mean that Samsung designed the TV's bluetooth for audio devices, I would agree that seems to be the case.

- Collapse -
Samsung did take care in some models
Mar 19, 2017 10:11AM PDT

To pair with their own for other reasons. I'm not here to debate Bluetooth HID pairing but to note I've yet to see a Bluetooth keyboard pair with all the Bluetooth capable Samsung HDTVs to date with an exception of Samsung's own Bluetooth keyboard which to make matters more interesting only paired with specific models.

That is, Bluetooth does not mean it will pair, just that it could. To get it to pair requires Samsung to build their firmware with the feature plus pay the license fees. So lots of reasons why this never works with keyboards.

- Collapse -
Need your help with pairing for the bluetooth or the unify
Apr 19, 2017 6:25PM PDT

Danny,
I just purchased one of the K830 keyboards and my Samsung UN65JS9000 TV does not even see the keyboard with bluetooth or the unifying receiver. How did you get the TV to see the keyboard with either bluetooth or the unifying receiver?
Thanks for your help.

- Collapse -
Years later. (don't bury posts like this.)
Apr 19, 2017 6:37PM PDT

Get it paired and working on your PC first.

- Collapse -
thanks
Apr 19, 2017 7:40PM PDT

thanks

- Collapse -
Pair with your laptop first
Apr 19, 2017 6:39PM PDT

As one previous poster suggested, I put the unifying receiver in my laptop and paired it with the laptop first, then moved the unifying receiver to the TV's OneConnect box. It worked. Not sure if it would have worked otherwise because I didn't try the unifying receiver first, I was trying to use bluetooth and it wouldn't work because Samsung doesn't implement the correct bluetooth profile.

- Collapse -
Samsung Bluetooth may not have keyboard support.
Apr 19, 2017 7:21PM PDT

It varies with the model. Most will never use Bluetooth for a keyboard.

- Collapse -
thanks
Apr 19, 2017 7:39PM PDT

thanks

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Samsung VG-KBD2000 Compatibility
Aug 10, 2017 5:22AM PDT

Can you tell me if my Samsung Smart UE49K6300AK is compatible with Samsung VG-KBD2000. If not can you or anyone suggest a keyboard that is compatible.

Thanks

- Collapse -
So far to be compatible
Aug 10, 2017 7:00AM PDT

You check the web page of your model TV and if it's under accessories it is, if not it is not.

If your TV notes USB HID or keyboard or mouse you try the usual USB keyboards as almost all work.

After that you have to know the browser and apps may or may not use the keyboard even if the keyboard works with the TV. Adding the usual keyboard and mouse does not give you anywhere near the capability of your common PC.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Wireless Keyboard & Mouse for Samsung Smart TV UN55JU6500F
Jan 8, 2018 10:39AM PST
Which Wireless Keyboard & Mouse will work for the Samsung Smart TV UN55JU6500F

If you can please let me know which one would be compatible that would be so awesome.
- Collapse -
Sadly you must test.
Jan 8, 2018 10:44AM PST

While the Logitech models continue to work 99.9 % of the time no one will know that last .1 %.

There's also the problem of apps that you would think would use the keyboard but don't. I've seen the keyboard and mouse work on the Logitech K400 Plus but then YouTube the app fail to accept keyboard input. The keyboard worked in other apps so it was compatible.

So this is why there is no such list. And no one will commit.

- Collapse -
Response To My Request
Jan 8, 2018 10:59AM PST
As I am thankful for your time and advice most of the people on here have asked which one would work with there TV & most recived some advice in what to get. I am still at a loss of what to get and what not to get. So is there any info that you can give me that will be a little more detailed.
- Collapse -
Answer
It's the weekend.
Jun 22, 2013 8:30AM PDT

I'm no rep but so far if the TV notes USB HID support I give the nod to the Logitech k400
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG/

Sorry, avoid the k400r for now until folk write it's OK.

As to the keyboard features it has the usual QWERTY and a mouse pad button area.

HOWEVER since apps don't have to use this, you find folk slamming the products for oddities you bump into such as that YouTube app.

Sorry but it's the weekend and thought you'd like something to read and ponder.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) Couldn't have said it better myself - HD Tech
Jun 25, 2013 1:14AM PDT
- Collapse -
Answer
Keyboar Compatibility
Jun 26, 2013 2:02AM PDT

Well, if your TV is anything like my UN40EH5300, the Logitech K400 will work with the web-browser app. It will provide the ability to move the cursor via the trackpad and select hyperlinks. It works decently, although the WebB Browser, at least on my TV has a tendency to run out of memory and crash...

So you will probably find the keyboard doesn't work with Netflix, Amazon Instant Video or Youtube as you might expect. At this time, and I suspect this is true of many models, you cannot use the keyboard to type characters in the respective application's search field, which is a real shame.

The usability issue of having to resort to the cursor keys on the TV remote is significant.

Back to the Web browser, another annoyance - specifically when using the K400, at least with my TV, there is no way to disable the pop-up virtual on-screen keyboard that is displayed for those needing to use their remote for entering characters. Oh my.

Here's an example of an application on the TV that actually uses an external keyboard... but then it is not SMART enough to have been programmed to provide a setting for SMART customers to disable the popup keyboard.

In some ways, this lack of keyboard integration is disturbing. The SMART HUB vision IMHO isn't fully productized. The quality of these apps, the lack of keyboard integration and simple logical features like the one I describe above suggest SAMSUNG needs to do quite a bit more to improve it's product line in very fundamental ways. Certainly it has the programming expertise to make this happen.

- Collapse -
k-400
Jun 26, 2013 8:31AM PDT

Thanks for your input. I have a UN55F ; not sure if the "F" is significant; but it was purchased in April this year.
Other things I've learned are: On Logitech site says " tv's not supported" and Samsung make their own (?) keyboard, so I guess that should work( @ 2x the price). Wonder if anyone uses a Samsung keyboard and it works 100%? Yes, Samsung should step up to the plate and work on this, maybe via a downloaded upgrade
to the electronics. There are lots of other keyboards out there; wonder if there are better choices. Thanks again.

- Collapse -
Let's be very clear.
Jun 26, 2013 8:36AM PDT

No maker will step up and warrant inter-operation. The Samsung keyboard is for specific models only (the ones I look at use a bluetooth link.)

I imagine some consumers will be put off by the disarray in the industry but here's what I find. If the TV writes "USB HID" then the k400 works within the limits of the apps

Bob

- Collapse -
Well
Jun 26, 2013 8:58AM PDT

Really - any person purchasing one of these sets is going to expect that the input fields in any application are going to honor input from the keyboard.

And as for SAMSUNG's own keyboard not being compatible... I don't know if that is a BT thing or not. But the K400 doesn't use BT, and my set doesn't have BT. But it does have USB connectors for the universal receiver used with the wireless keyboard.

Lastly, as for the popup keyboard displaying when using a real keyboard (and there being no setting to suppress this), where is their usability engineering / testing team? Seriously?

Its so blatant - it's ridiculously sad.

- Collapse -
So your set has USB HID.
Jun 26, 2013 9:16AM PDT

My advice is the k400 will likely be as good as it gets.

Let me tip my hand a little (I can't show all my cards.) Here's a photo from a developer's meeting.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/SamWorld.png

It's a good idea to know that Samsung doesn't write all the apps. There are companies big and small and you see some like the YouTube app fail miserably on the keyboard even on non-samsung products. I noted it at http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-579587/that-youtube-app-hdtech-will-love-this/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

I'm guessing here you want more than "it should work for most things." That is you don't want another Windows PC where the PC maker tells you that's Windows and they can't fix it.
Bob