Resolved Question


<font size="5">Can anyone tell me what the keyboard key labeled "INS" does and when to use this key? Thank you. user470

Discussion is locked
user470 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Reply to: keyboard
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Best Answer

- Collapse -
It changes between

It changes between insert and overtype modes in most text editing/word processing programs. It's easier if you just play with it yourself to see the difference in action.

Open up something MS Word if you have it, or WordPad should also suffice. Type in something like: The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. Now position the cursor at some random point in the middle of that sentence and start typing something else. The default mode is usually insert, so after typing a little, press the insert key and observe the difference.

- Collapse -
To Jimmy

To Jimmy: Thank you very much for your helpful response. user470

CNET Forums