Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Kerry unpopularity; even his daughters booed by MTV

by Kiddpeat / September 2, 2004 12:09 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kerry unpopularity; even his daughters booed by MTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kerry unpopularity; even his daughters booed by MTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Kerry unpopularity; even his daughters booed by MTV
by William Finder / September 2, 2004 2:59 AM PDT

If I recall correctly, the Bush girls were booed also!

If you're going to use a news item to further your aims, use ALL of the story!

Collapse -
by Josh K / September 2, 2004 3:13 AM PDT

You're right; the Kerry daughters AND the Bush daughters were booed. I guess it's just another example of that "liberal media bias" if nobody reported that the Bush twins got booed too. Either that or KP was being a tad selective in his reading. Since his link doesn't seem to open the article he was quoting, I can't tell.

Collapse -
Like the Pacific Ocean is wet but a wet wipe is too...
by Edward ODaniel / September 2, 2004 7:14 AM PDT

Factually the statement is true BUT the actual difference between the two is astounding.

Boo Time for Kerry Kids

You could see by the looks on their faces that what happened was unexpected.

When Alexandra and Vanessa, the daughters of Democrat presidential nominee John Kerry, appeared on stage during the MTV Billboard Awards, the crowd started to boo and wouldn't stop.

The two girls launched into the usual "Choose or Lose" blather, but the boos continued. Vanessa looked irritated, and Alexandra appeared shell-shocked.

Then the Bush twins, Jenna and Barbara, arrived via satellite. They had a similar message, but the audience was quieter, although some scattered booing did occur.

The Kerry pair talked again, and the boos grew louder. When they asked for a vote for their father, the jeers almost drowned them out. Some cheers could be heard, but the boos won the night.

The Left Coast Report suspects that the DNC will reconsider its youth get-out-the-vote drive and return to pursuing votes of illegal aliens, felons and dead people.

www.newsmax.com

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=40211

Avideo so you can hear it yourself:
http://www.dailyrecycler.com/blog/2004/08/mtv-crowd-boos-kerry-daughters.html

On the other hand CNN seems to think the boos were for both and didn't notice less booing for the Bush Twins. Their reporter's credibility is in question though for including this comment "MTV cameras showed some audience members apparently giving the women a standing ovation, but the mixture of boos and cheers continued." -- questionable credibility for attempting to paint a false picture because of the plain and simple fact that most of the individuals were standing throughout the entire program... they had to... they were standing room only at the event. I suppose we should be glad that this writer wasn't covering the swimming events at the Olympics. I can just see it "Phelps appeared to be sweating heavily as he won the 200 meter butterfly."

Collapse -
Possible extenuating circumstance.
by MarkatNite / September 2, 2004 12:32 PM PDT

As someone who's done a fair amount of sound mixing, both live and in the studio, I feel compelled to point out that it's much harder to eliminate crowd noise when a performer is in front of a live audience than it is when the performance is taped and/or being beamed in via satellite from another location.

In other words, while I don't know this to be a fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the guys/gals in the booth pulled the house faders down when the Bush girls were on screen, thereby making it appear to the TV viewing audience that the boos temporarily subsided, even though the level could have remained constant, or even risen, inside the actual venue.

SoundM@N

P.S. Hi, Edward. Nice to see you're still keeping DK on his toes.

Collapse -
I don't know, Mark...
by J. Vega / September 2, 2004 9:40 PM PDT

I don't know about that, Mark. I did network television audio for many years. If the audience was on a different pot, dragging it up and down would probably be detectable, as you would also drag up/down all other non-cheer/boo audio, background noise, and inherent circuit "noise". And if the man on the board had the limiters/compressors cut into the circuit, that very well might make the change even more noticable. BTW, if you have the circuits set to compress/expand/gate the board output to the Master Control to keep the level to between level A (low) and level B (high), dragging down a component of the mix would tend to "drag up" the other component(s) to keep the total mix level between A and B. And some of those audio operators used to wonder how when they started "playing" with the circuitry I would charging over and knew that they had been messing with things.

Collapse -
True Mark BUT...
by Edward ODaniel / September 3, 2004 6:21 AM PDT

many of the people reporting this incident were present in the audience and were hearing it live--harder to filter that.

There is no doubt that both sets of girls got booed (as did several other performers) but the Kerry girls seemed to bear the brunt of it despite the CNN spin.

Good to see you back posting when you can Mark.

Collapse -
I saw a difference...
by J. Vega / September 2, 2004 7:22 AM PDT

I saw a difference in the story.
Bush - although some scattered booing did occur.
Kerry - the crowd started to boo and wouldn't stop.

Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / September 2, 2004 6:24 AM PDT

The kids were probably too rapt by their potty-mouthed idols to endure a political spiel. Both sets of daughters were about as welcome as an Imodium commercial during Thanksgiving dinner. How did they get this way in the first place? Sad

Collapse -
Their parents, of course.
by Dan McC / September 2, 2004 6:43 AM PDT

How do most people get the way they are?

Dan

Collapse -
I point i have not seen yet
by netsky / September 2, 2004 3:07 PM PDT

In my opinion if you measured them all you'd find Republican types are louder, more vocal and yes... at times -ruder- than democrats. ex: Fox and EIB.

What lousy kids of either party that would boo innocent teenagers of either surname for supporting their parent's campaign. What low lifes- are they the future "kinder, gentler" and "compasionate conservatives" and "progressive leaders" of the central and left side?

Heed mark@night's supposition. I cannot see the tape. Does his reasoning sound plausible? If that's not the case, if Kerry's girls WERE more loudly booed- then the RNC should help educate its base to practice common courtesies, so called "christian core values" that I myself try to hold to, even though I hold that religion of any stripe is a load of nonsense. Sorry, I digress; that's not my point here, save it for later.

The point here is RUDENESS- and the folks who gleefully hold this up an example "that carry can't even hold his base" have in a with black paint brush implying that the booers were all democrats when there's not a shred of reason why they should be: either non-political anarchist slackers or republican shaded neophytes; likely a mixture of both?

Collapse -
Your 'opinion'...
by Edward ODaniel / September 3, 2004 6:29 AM PDT
In my opinion if you measured them all you'd find Republican types are louder, more vocal and yes... at times -ruder- than democrats. ex: Fox and EIB.

You can get a reality check by simply viewing the protests and protestors at both conventions. Louder, ruder, more vocal and less law-abiding is firmly entrenched in the Democrats.

Your assumption of the implication is incorrect too. The actual implication is NOT that those booing were Democrats, but that they were not likely to become Democrats as the Democratic machine expects youngsters to be.

Collapse -
by dirtyrich / September 2, 2004 12:51 PM PDT

Yet another instance of people bringing politics into forums where it is not wanted at the time. Add this to the Dixie Chicks and all those other incidents.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?