Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Kerry then and now

Then:

In our opinion, and from our experience, there is nothing in South Vietnam, nothing which could happen that realistically threatens the United States of America. And to attempt to justify the loss of one American life in Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos by linking such loss to the preservation of freedom, which those misfits supposedly abuse, is to use the height of criminal hypocrisy, and it is that kind of hypocrisy which we feel has torn this country apart.

Now: (semods4@yahoo.com/speakeasy)

I'm John Kerry, and I'm reporting for duty....

... I defended this country as a young man, and I will defend it as president.

Evie Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kerry then and now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kerry then and now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Kerry then and now/A bit in defense of JKs testimony

In reply to: Kerry then and now

I needed to read his testimony from 1971 and try to forget who was speaking. At that time, I was in the USAF but safely tucked in the foothills of the Alps in Aviano, Italy. But, the knowledge of the war was real and I knew people who had been there, were going there and had two HS classmates die there. It was a scary time for us young folks. I would have to honestly say that I shared similar thoughts about the war, its purpose and morality with what JK said....and my feelings about that war have not changed much with time. I have the highest regard for the vets who served and were later maligned by many of their own countryment, however. But, JK is making a mistake by highlighting these few months of active duty on his resume if he wants me to consider voting for him. He'd be better off to let it drop. Now he has to undergo the public scrutiny he invited. And what's the reaction when things get a bit too hot? he attacks his opponent. Kids do the same, don't they. When Billy gets caught by a parent with a hand in the cookie jar, doesn't he try to deflect the heat by mentioning that his brother Bob lied about getting his homework done? I wouldn't want to state that using this childhood ploy is limited to one political party. They both do it ad nauseum. To me, one of the good things that will come out of this election is that the pols will crawl back into the woodwork for a time. Happy

Collapse -
Let's get down to brass tacks

In reply to: Kerry then and now

Hi Evie,
Kerry's statement is faulted anyway.
Vietnam didn't pose a direct threat to the U.S but the spread of communism did. No mention of that in his statement, and here in the U.K that is what we understood to be the reason for defending the South from the North.

Collapse -
Re: Let's get down to brass tacks

In reply to: Let's get down to brass tacks

How controversial of you Steve!

I happen to agree with you... defeating Communism was paramount and allowing "minor" outposts to be the frontlines of communism would have been tragic.

Sad how even after the cold war has been won so many on the left still can't see that Sad

Now on a personal note ... Hiya!!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Let's get down to brass tacks

In reply to: Re: Let's get down to brass tacks

I was thinking back to when I was about 18. I wasnt sure if it was a good or bad thing, or whether it was necessary, though I was aware of the domino argument. My opinion was that the politicians seemed to be micro-managing the war instead of letting the generals do whatever they thought best to win. This gave me the idea that if we werent going at it 100% then we should get out.

Collapse -
I remember being glad I was a girl

In reply to: Re: Let's get down to brass tacks

Collapse -
Re: I remember being glad I was a girl

In reply to: I remember being glad I was a girl

My number was 151 as a senior, but I was 17 when I graduated. Also, I figured I would be an 'F' since I had a maintenance med to take. On top of that, I went to a college. I wasnt worried. Happy

Collapse -
Re: I remember being glad I was a girl

In reply to: Re: I remember being glad I was a girl

I remember sitting in High School choir while my friend got called out into the hall to be told that her Dad was the last American soldier to be killed in the Vietnam war.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wow, what a blow that was!

In reply to: Re: I remember being glad I was a girl

Collapse -
You ain't kiddin!

In reply to: (NT) wow, what a blow that was!

Of course, we were all saddened, and she was a basket case. But then you start thinking SOMEBODY has to be the last, and you wonder what little thing in life's flow could have changed so that it didn't happen to him, ya know? Strange feelings.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.