Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Kerry Democracy in Iraq flip-flop

by J. Vega / April 21, 2004 12:02 AM PDT

On the subject of Democracy in Iraq Kerry just flip-flopped. "WE NEED A reasonable plan and a specific timetable for self-government" in Iraq, Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) said in December. "That means completing the tasks of security and democracy in the country -- not cutting and running in order to claim a false success."
Now he changes, saying,
"I can't tell you what it's going to be," he said to reporters covering his campaign. "That stability can take several forms."
Link to the full story at the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29230-2004Apr20.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kerry Democracy in Iraq flip-flop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kerry Democracy in Iraq flip-flop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is Bush doing any better?
by Diana Forum moderator / April 21, 2004 12:32 AM PDT

He's supposed to turn over the government on June 30 and there isn't even a consensus on to whom. And we assume that he has all the intel that Kerry wouldn't have.

Collapse -
Re: he is improving at saying ... Ah,AH, Ah.....:-)...nt
by Mary Kay / April 21, 2004 12:40 AM PDT

Collapse -
(NT) Still says "nucular" though
by Josh K / April 21, 2004 12:46 AM PDT

Collapse -
The question is, Diana...
by J. Vega / April 21, 2004 12:47 AM PDT

Diana, Bush is the President, and Kerry wants to be, so the question is what would Kerry do if he gets what he wants. Who knows? He keeps changing his stand. Even after trying to change the subject to Bush and take the spotlight off of Kerry, that question still remains.

Collapse -
Re:The question is, Diana...
by Dan McC / April 21, 2004 1:11 AM PDT

Bush keeps changing his stands and you think nothing of that.

Dan

Collapse -
The question remains...
by J. Vega / April 21, 2004 3:12 AM PDT

The question to Kerry still remains. No matter how many times you try to change the subject away from it. Say Bush 100 times, and it still sits there, waiting for an answer from Kerry.

Collapse -
Re: The question remains... I can see it now!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 21, 2004 3:24 AM PDT

J, Ed et al.: "Kerry can't walk on water!"
Any reasonable person: "That's impossible, and neither can Bush."
J, Ed, et al.: "There you go, trying to duck the question again!"

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
That's just silly
by Dan McC / April 21, 2004 3:51 AM PDT

Do you think that the comparison of the two candidate's ability to hold a position is a worthwhile activity?

Dan

Collapse -
Re: Is Bush doing any better?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 21, 2004 3:19 AM PDT

Hi, Diana.

We've now said that we'll turn over to whomever the UN says -- but the UN envoy last night indicated that might not be possible by July 1. If so, what then for Bush? Kerry's at least been saying all along that July 1 is too soon, which should be obvious to anyone not basing their decision-making on a pre-fixed timetable.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Re:Re: Is Bush doing any better?
by Dan McC / April 21, 2004 3:53 AM PDT

Anyone who thinks that there will be a handover of any real authority on June 30 is more out of touch than even bush is.

Dan

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re: Is Bush doing any better?
by Roger NC / April 21, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

Unfortunately if there isn't a turn over on June 30, I expect all the pushy mullahs to declare religious wars on the coalition troops, civilians, and home lands.

Even if there is, all the ones that feel slighted will probably do the same.

June 30 is the date for anarchy, chaos and bloodbaths to take over Iraq.

RogerNC

Collapse -
I sure wish you were the Secretary of Defense.
by Dan McC / April 21, 2004 6:03 AM PDT

We might have gone in with a post conquest plan.

*sigh*

Dan

Collapse -
It will be interesting to see how Bush manages.....
by Josh K / April 21, 2004 6:08 AM PDT

....to blame Bill Clinton for this.

I appreciate the fact that he wanted to drive the point home to the Iraqis that we had an exit plan by setting a date, but it would have been a good idea to actually have an exit plan at the time he set that date, or even a clue as to what might happen after Saddam was toppled. Now he's committed to that date and even he admits he doesn't know who is going to take over, and we're only two months away.

Collapse -
Re:I sure wish you were the Secretary of Defense.
by Roger NC / April 21, 2004 6:09 AM PDT

Easier to see now than then.

We'll disagree on most of the debate probably, but it certainly isn't going as well as everyone hoped, those that supported or oppose the invasion.

Sigh, I was afraid from the beginning that once the war was over, that civil war would be next. I didn't necessarily expect it before a government was even sit up particularly, but am not surprised.

Although I confess I expected more immediate and noisy trouble with the Kurds declaring an immediate succession and independant state.

Then the rest of the fractions resuming the century old feuds that Saddam did manage to suppress, even if only by torturing and killing everyone that even spit the wrong way.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Re:Re:I sure wish you were the Secretary of Defense.
by Dan McC / April 21, 2004 6:13 AM PDT

There was plenty of talk about post conquest planning and what a debacle the situation could turn into. It was just plain ignored by bush.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: I sure wish you were the Secretary of Defense.

Hi, Dan.

it was worse than ignored by Bush -- State had been working on a post-war plan for over a year. About a month before D-Day, Bush decided to transfer authority for post-war Iraq from State to Defense, and Rumsfeld told Powell where to stick his year of planning.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.