Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Kerry and the Mayor of Boston

by Evie / June 30, 2004 1:19 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kerry and the Mayor of Boston
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kerry and the Mayor of Boston
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't forget the Mayor and Governor Romney
by Edward ODaniel / June 30, 2004 1:56 AM PDT

I thought I posted this yesterday but apparently not.

THE DEMOCRATS

A Republican Subs for Kerry With Relish
By PAM BELLUCK

Published: June 29, 2004

BOSTON, June 28 - So much for party unity.

First, John Kerry, the putative Democratic presidential nominee, decided Sunday not to attend the annual meeting of the nation's mayors here, refusing to cross a picket line of police union members feuding with Boston's mayor.

Then, on Monday, Boston's mayor, Thomas M. Menino, who is not only a Democrat but also the host of the Democratic National Convention here in July, welcomed a stand-in for Mr. Kerry: Mitt Romney, the Republican governor of Massachusetts.

Mayor Rich Borer Jr. of West Haven, Conn., a Democrat, said he believed that Mr. Kerry should have attended and might even have been able to mediate an agreement between the city and the union.

"It makes it a little more difficult for me as a man to sit there and say Kerry is the guy when he didn't show up," Mr. Borer said.

Kerry sure keeps "sticking it" to Boston--first the nomination flap now this...

Actually it is good to see another area he shows some consistency in besides inconsistency, but it sure seems he takes Massachusetts BLIND support for granted.

Collapse -
Re: Don't forget the Mayor and Governor Romney
by Josh K / June 30, 2004 2:01 AM PDT

Hmmmm.....from where I sit he supported the union by refusing to cross their picket line, something the Republican Governor apparently had no problem doing.

You're right; it does speak to his character, and the Mayor's and the Governor's.

Collapse -
So you think that the pickets...
by Edward ODaniel / June 30, 2004 3:17 AM PDT

will be pulled for the convention?

Collapse -
Re: So you think that the pickets...
by Josh K / June 30, 2004 3:19 AM PDT

I have no idea, but I believe security measures around both conventions will make picketing right in front of the convention halls impossible. The "do I cross?" dilemma won't be an issue for either candidate.

Collapse -
Re: So you think that the pickets...
by Dan McC / June 30, 2004 3:52 AM PDT

I'm sure that the rights of the picketers will just as severely infringed upon as the rights of the protesters. They'll be almost as inconspicuous as dissidents in China during a foreign dignitary's visit.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: You hope Josh.......
by Rolway / June 30, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

If the picking issue is'nt resolved one way or the other come DNC day....ought to be interesting.

Quote:
"I don't cross picket lines. I never have," Kerry said as he left Mass Sunday night at Our Lady of Good Voyage chapel in South Boston.

George

Collapse -
Pickets in Boston - no problem!
by Paul C / June 30, 2004 12:30 PM PDT

The reporter who wrote the Boston Herald story was interviewed on Hannity and Colmes tonight. In the interview, she said that in the event the picketing was still going on when the Dems' convention began, they wouldn't be allowed to picket at the Fleet Center (A question: What if the Dems gave a convention and 70% of the delegates - union members - couldn't come? ;-)). Instead, they'll have to picket the convention hotels. That of course begs the question of whether the same 70% of Dem delegates will cross a picket line in order to go to sleep.

There may be some really cranky Democrats by the time this thing ends...;-)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Domestic dispute - outsiders keep out
by Del McMullen / June 30, 2004 3:57 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!