Linux forum

General discussion

Kernel updates?

by chuckieu / March 28, 2004 1:42 AM PST

My disks for FC1 were kernel 2.4.22-1.2115. I installed
2.6.0, apparently successfully. I still get the 2.4.22-1.2115 designation. Is this correct, or did the update not go through as it said? I also just downloaded
2.4.22-1.2174 in plain and Athlon versions. Do i need this, and if so, which one? I am using an Athlon processor. chuck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kernel updates?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kernel updates?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Kernel updates?
by David Utidjian / March 29, 2004 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Kernel updates?

If you install the 2174 kernel for FC1 via yum or up2date it should configure the system boot from those automatically. If you use yum it does the download and install automatically. I haven't used up2date in so long I forget if it does. In any case yum/up2date will install the correct kernel for your system. I don't run (or have) any athlon systems to test so I can't tell you if it is correct to use the athlon version or not. My guess is that you would want to use the athlon version.

If you are using grub as your boot loader it should list the installed kernels and OSes it knows about on bootup in the splash screen. Does it list the new 2.6.0 kernel in there? From where did you get the 2.6.0 kernel?

-DU-...etc...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Kernel updates?
by chuckieu / March 30, 2004 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Kernel updates?

www.kernel.org
This is the kernel archive. I used 2.6.0-I just checked and it is now 2.6.4(stable)
Not sure if I can install with Yum. Just installed it and it says it can't find mirrors to update from when I try to use it. chuck

Collapse -
Re:Kernel updates?
by chuckieu / April 2, 2004 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Kernel updates?

The 2.6.0 kernel did indeed install, it was listed in ./
rather than /lib/modules. Found it when I was looking for
something I had just installed. Now 2.6.4 is out and stable. chuck

Collapse -
Re:Re:Kernel updates?
by Anthony J Moulen / April 7, 2004 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Kernel updates?

If you install a kernel manually then you will likely need to manually add it to your boot up sequence. Either grub or lilo will then allow you to update afterwards and just run a simple command or not run a command at all (lilo you need to run lilo again, grub you don't).

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Kernel updates?
by chuckieu / April 7, 2004 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Kernel updates?

Anthony, I literally just finished reinstalling FC1 with the update to 2.6.0(TOTALLY configuring the kernel this time ;-{ ) and logged back on the net. Good timing. chuck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?