Computer Help forum

General discussion

Kernel Reboot Problem

by billyvonne / August 13, 2005 1:45 PM PDT

My HP Pavilion a350n computer with Windows XP is unable to reboot with a kernel error listed as the reason.

I would get redirected to a black screen with options such as: Restart with normal configuration, safe mode, last known good configuration that worked, etc.. but every time I chose an option it would bring me right back to the same black screen with all the same options that apparently do not work.

Does anyone know how to fix kernels or how to fix my rebooting problem? PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kernel Reboot Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kernel Reboot Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Care to share with us. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 13, 2005 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Kernel Reboot Problem

the exact error message?

Collapse -
Not sure
by billyvonne / August 14, 2005 2:24 AM PDT

Thanks for responding-

All I remember from the message was that is wrote something was wrong with the kernel and that it had a reference number with it. Unfortunately I lost all that information.

Basically my computer will not run windows unless I run the recovery system each time I reboot after shutting down or restarting. Which makes sense that it would be the kernel. Is there any way to fix it or the rebooting operations of my computer?

I also just recently cleaned out my system of a few Trojan Horses, spyware, and adware.

Any recommendations would be a great help.

Collapse -
Can you boot in safe mode?
by Coryphaeus / August 14, 2005 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure

If so, a System Restore might help. Also, from a DOS prompt, try typing sfc System File Checker can restore corrupt files.

Collapse -
More info
by billyvonne / August 15, 2005 12:33 PM PDT

Okay I will try that sfc in Dos, but I don't know how to get to DOS. I cannot reboot with safe mode or any of the other options listed. I also can only use system recovery not system restore by pressing f10.

I also found more information on what that message said about the kernel. As Follows:
Load needed DLLS kernel ( have not clue what that means)

Thanks for your help so far.

Collapse -
Not sure that this can help,
by Ray Harinec / August 14, 2005 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Kernel Reboot Problem

just a little info about kernel. With X86 CPU,s there are four levels that software can run at, 0, 1,2, 3,, however Windows XP only allows using o and 2.

Level zero is also called the kernel. XP limits which applications install on the kernel level, because at that level the app can set its own memory size and limits. At level 2 XP controls the memory allocations [this is why XP handles resources far better than Win9X and ME].

Only guess by me would be that one of the apps installed at the kernal level [could be XP itself] has a problem, maybe corrupted. XP allows some Apps to run at kernal level simply because if it didn't the Op Sys would be slower than a snail. That is also why XP is basically slower than the 98X systems. [but more memory helps.]

If you can figure out which program it is, possibly reinstalling it will fix it.

This is really only a WAG by me.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?