Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Kepp getting Windows photo gallery on start up

by gwingee / April 8, 2006 12:20 AM PDT

I have been recently getting on my TrendMicro Spyware..6 items..of adware adclicker..keep deleting but everyday on start up it is still finding even though I even scan before I turned off at night. Now te last 3 days I get on start up this windows photo gallery trying to "configure" then an error because no "cd rom " ..I never asked for it. I am brand new to computers. I have HP , Windows XP SP2, cable broadband connections...Norton AV, Adware SE, Trend Micro, Windows Defender, Ewido, and SpyBlaster. EAch time Trend finds the 6 and I look at SpyBlaster..there are SIX items not enabled on IE..kicker is I do NOT use IE..99.9 percent of the time I use Firefox. I checked Spyblaster..all items checked off under IE to prevent activeX and prevent tracking cookies. 2 nights ago Windows Defender found 52 items ...tracking cookies..what do I need to do??? How do you delete all those cookies on Windows Defender at once..or do I just leave them in quarantine??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kepp getting Windows photo gallery on start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kepp getting Windows photo gallery on start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, Do Not Use/Know Defender but.. Maybe Possible to....
by tobeach / April 8, 2006 3:41 PM PDT

stop the Photo Gallery starting at every boot.
Try disabling in MS Config (if you had Spybot you could do same without going to config).
Press Start>lower right Run>type in box MSCONFIG with no spaces & click OK. On page then shown , on top right tab (startup) look to see if the photo program is listed there with a check box beside it. If so, and if checked, left click to uncheck.
Program should not appear again unless you activate from program list or icon.
One question re Adware (clicker etc.): Whose Cable are you on and is your Home (Start) Page connected to it?
Example: I have Rogers Cable ISP and by default they load Yahoo! as home page. Yahoo sends down tons of adware cookies the second you get there.
Another possible entry point is via a back channel in Messenger and a similar back channel hiding in Outlook Express. AdawareSE(free,Lavasoft) enables you to disable both of these with "Add-Ons"(plmessengerstop.exe&ploemessengerstop.exe) you can download from their site which install into the AdawareSE program. Then you can enable or disable both messengers. If you go this route also get the Vx2cleaner add-on. See left side Programs>Add-ons.

There is also a small program called "Shoot the Messenger" with similar aim, but I don't know if it also gets the O.E. one. Here's link from Roddy32:
Funny, MS said they were going to disable Messenger in SP2. Not sure they ever did. Hope this helps some.:D

Collapse -
Also having problems

I am also experiencing the same ''windows photo gallery'' pop up window on start up, but I don't have any other spyware/adware problems (that I'm aware of). The photo gallery application keeps looking for a file with a .msi extension. It also pops up when I start my "powerdvd" dvd player application, and has appeared when I tried to run one certain game. I've looked under the msnconfig as well as spybot, and I can't seem to find any photo galley process to stop.

Collapse -
Much the Same Questons & Suggestions as Above Post.
by tobeach / May 12, 2006 4:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Also having problems

I, on my last trip to Hotmail, was suddenly confronted FIRST with a full page ad pushing new Hotmail services and almost needed to agree to find my way past but didn't. I wonder if "Web Based Hosting of your Photo Album" wasn't one of the come ons included. I don't know as I didn't pay too much
attention (being too busy trying to get to my Mail Page)& didn't accept anything but it was certainly an Script operation. Did you get similar offer either at MSN or Hotmail? Did you say OK?
Have you got a system restore point before this started happening? If yes, try restoring back that far, then re-update your AV & Anti-spyware programs. Which do you have? Anything showing in scans?
From Google: " MSI files are Microsoft's new software installation package format and will allow applications to be published to a domain, site or group in Windows 2000 and also allow the application to self-repair."
A bit of tutorial on msiHERE
Given the .msi is an installer package which would handle a NEW application, I suspect (but don't know) that this could also be a new kind of drive by install attempt using a backdoor entry say thru Outlook &/or Messenger and is trying to find a way to install?
Perhaps it's looking for computers which have installed MS's .NET framework which might allow entry. Just a W.A.G. really. Did you in past install .NET?
Might have come via an MS update package.
Anything more you can give re your system details including patch levels & anti-spyware programs you are running might help someone figure this.
In passing, I don't do auto update from MS, and haven't caught this (yet?). Please post back with further info. Happy

Collapse -
MS update, maybe?
by valeriesorrells / May 17, 2006 1:16 AM PDT

I've never used Hotmail or MSN, and I can't remember if I was ever confronted with a ''web based Hosting of your photo album''. If I'm ever confronted with those, I never click on them anyway.
Unfortunately, I don't have a system restore point before all of this started, so I'm out of luck there.
Right now I'm running symantec antivirus ver. 05.16.2006 rev 19. I've also got spybot:search and destroy 1.4, and ad-aware SE personal 1.06r1. The most recent scans didn't turn up much, Spybot found a few tracking cookies, but it's found that before and deletng them has had no effect on this photo gallery deal.
I think I installed some microsoft update in the past. I can't remember what or when, but I'm pretty sure that at some point I did do something to update. Maybe this .net is part of a service pack?
Please let me know if there's anything else I should share (re. system details, etc).
Thanks very much for your help!

Collapse -
I really doubt if this is a malware
by roddy32 / May 17, 2006 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: MS update, maybe?

problem but I could be wrong. The EXACT message you get with this popup might help.

Collapse -
Exactly what it's telling me
by valeriesorrells / May 17, 2006 8:02 AM PDT

please wait while windows configures photo gallery...(wait for it to configure as a load bar fills)...the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the ''PhotoGallery'' disk and click OK.
It has a little pop-down bar to specify the source, but the only option it gives me is ''1''. If I click ''BROWSE'' it automatically fills in the ''file name'' and ''files of type'' boxes with PhotoGallery.msi and Installation Package (*msi), respectively.
If, anytime while the load bar is filling, I click "cancel", the load bar will go backwards, seemingly "de-loading" and the pop up will initialize again once it's done de-loading. This cycle repeats a few more times, but goes away after I click "cancel" enough.

Collapse -
I don't have and answer for this but I think
by roddy32 / May 17, 2006 9:23 AM PDT

if you post what you just posted in the XP forum, you might get someone more knowledgable about this type of problem. I really do NOT think it is spyware/malware/virus related. It sounds like maybe a missing file for that particular program or something similiar. There are a lot of smart people in that forum and possibly someone will have seen this problem before. In the meantime, maybe someone will come up with an answer here.

This is the link for the XP forum.

Collapse -
Same problem
by smoggie57 / June 13, 2006 1:12 AM PDT

I also get the message "please wait while windows installs photo gallery." It only happens when I try to view e-mail using MSN.com. I'm reasonably sure that my problem is related to the software I installed with my Hewlett Packard PSC 1610 printer. When prompted with the above message, I inserted my HP CD and the install was apparently successful, but the next time I tried to view my e-mail the problem recurred. Have you found the source or the solution to the problem? It certainly is annoying.

Collapse -
Just a Thought... You Mention You've Got Spybot.......
by tobeach / May 17, 2006 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: MS update, maybe?

The following requires you start up S&D in "Advanced" Mode (if running in default now). Opening Spybot Page>Upper Left:Mode>Put check mark in Advanced and close & re-open program.
Lower Left>Tools>System start-up.
Here you'll find a list of all programs set to run at boot up. Many of these don't need to run in background all of the time (many if off at start, will come up automatically if called).
Look on the list presented and see if any of the items shown with a check mark mention any kind of Photo Program.
By removing check mark, you stop that item booting at start. You can re-enable at start by going back & putting check mark back in if need be.
If you do find one & uncheck, then close out & reboot computer, Does the same problem continue?? It's like a quicker & easier version of Msconfig.
As an example, all I have check marked in there are:
2 AVG Entries (AV), IGFX Tray, Sound Max (Audio), Win Cinema Mgr, Spybot Tea Timer, and all 10 System .ini at bottom. These combined are about 1/3rd of total list.
Full Boot-up to finished desktop (no hour glass) is about 40-45 seconds.
It is possible that your beast is hiding in one of the .ini(s) but that seems a little unlikely to me.
Worth a try? Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Partial success!
by valeriesorrells / May 23, 2006 3:16 PM PDT

Ok, so what I did was open up Spybot in advance mode and looked through all of the programs for anything related to photos, images, etc. I've done that before, but I didn't think it was on there, as I saw nothing that had to do with microsoft photo gallery. This time however, I unchecked "HP digital Imaging Monitor.ink" and "HP image Zone Fast Start.ink". Following that, I rebooted.
Upon startup, the Microsoft Photo Gallery pop up, DID NOT INTIALIZE!!!!
However, when I tried to start powerdvd up, just to see if the photogallery curse was really gone, it came back...grrrr.
Maybe the problem's tied to HP Image Zone or some other related software?

Collapse -
RE: partial success
by Marge58 / July 8, 2006 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Partial success!

Absolutely! I have been searching for a resolution to this problem for weeks (very soon after my last HP Software Updater did it's thing). HP doesn't seem to want to acknowledge the probelm exists as far as I can tell.

I've also seen something related to MS Photo Gallery with regard to Windows Vista. Could it be HP's built something into their latest software update for that? In other words, is the updated HP software seaching for something Vista related that it can't find with the rest of us running XP?

No more HP for me...

Collapse -
by Rickkgraham / July 9, 2006 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: partial success

had the same freaking thing, tried few things, one of them worked!!!!!! google 'windows installer cleanup' (can't remember how i got it, sorry, use to have a link), install it, then find PhotoGllery on the list and remove it.. bingo problem solved...

i just installed symantec antivirus and security center, started getting a lot of similar annoying things! these antivirus guys should get their act together, what a f.cking shame...

Collapse -
re: success!!!
by Marge58 / July 9, 2006 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: success!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try it - thanks! I did find a "photo gallery" folder on my HP software set up disk, so Im almost sure that's the problem...

Collapse -
Intsaller Cleanup Tool from Microsoft
by dwightpaige79 / July 24, 2006 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: re: success!!!
Collapse -
Problem solved!
by farmerlynn / July 28, 2007 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: re: success!!!

I started having the same problem Photo Gallery after uninstalling AOL so I assumed there was a missing file. I have a HP 735 camera and I placed the install disk in my CD drive and chose the option to "Repair". It fixed the problem!

Collapse -
Just a thougt
by tomron / May 17, 2006 8:18 PM PDT

Click HERE

Did you run Ewido?

Maybe check MSCONFIG to see if anything abnormal.

Try scanning in safe mode.

Collapse -
The major problem here is
by PudgyOne / July 28, 2007 1:24 PM PDT

That they need to reinstall their HP Camera software. I had this problem also and it comes from the HP Camera software.

Reinstall and restart your computer.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?