General discussion

Kent State revisited

Audio evidence has surfaced that supposedly offers that a .38 pistol was shoot before any Guardsman started shooting. Further, on the audio tape other voices are heard of getting the "pig" or similar in reference to a photographer there to document the event for possible evidence and other law enforcement uses. A possible reopening of the case by the FBI, prompted by an Ohio Congressman. After reading in the local paper is gets confusing that this evidence should now surface and yrs. later. You would think some of this would be old news(it is) but compelling never the less.

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____enUS373US374&aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Kent+State+shooting

http://toledoblade.com/article/20101008/NEWS24/101009576

-----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Kent State revisited
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Kent State revisited
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Well, you've got frightened and confused young people

facing off with other frightened and confused young people with neither knowing what the other is capable of. One group we know is armed and, of the other, we are not certain but they greatly outnumber the armed group. Sounds like a recipe for a no-win situation to me.

- Collapse -
Interesting.

But even the current crop of revisionist historians won't do anything that may blame the "peaceful" students.

Still an amazing event in our history.

- Collapse -
It was a good lesson for campuses across the USA

It put them on notice that rioting had consequences, finally.

- Collapse -
The campus area is noteworthy for something else
Black squirrels from Canada

I've only been up there once but there presence can't go unnoticed. Campus areas, in general, are full of these furry critters. For some reason, squirrels seem to do well in the academic lifestyle . Happy
- Collapse -
I've noticed...

Oddly enough you mention black squirrels, as I've seen them in Detroit area. The blvds. tree lined aves. seems to be a haven for them. While, I have seen them elsewhere not too far from my house, Detroit being just south of Canada, i wonder if they crossed the border. On a similar note, I've noticed the squirrels(plain old) cross streets with the lights just like pedestrians, seriously.
-----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
I've noticed...

Oddly enough you mention black squirrels, as I've seen them in Detroit area. The blvds. tree lined aves. seems to be a haven for them. While, I have seen them elsewhere not too far from my house, Detroit being just south of Canada, i wonder if they crossed the border. On a similar note, I've noticed the squirrels(plain old) cross streets with the lights just like pedestrians, seriously. -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
I've seen lots of them in Traverse City, MI

Maybe they swam across the lake.

- Collapse -
And they took a barge down the Mississippi
- Collapse -
To all above, the Black Squirrel is the melanistic phase of

the Grey Squirrel. They are exactly the same species. Because there are more forests and darker places in Canada, particularly during early dark during the winter, therefore a darker squirrel has a better chance at survival. Grey Squirrels do better in the open areas because they are less conspicuous and can hide well on tree trunks. It's Darwin's "survival of the fittest" in action.

You want a separate squirrel species? The Red Squirrel, the Ground Squirrel, though they too have a separate variant on the Western side of the Grand Canyon. The two populations have been separated so long that they are not the same species.

Rob

- Collapse -
Well, they could have used the tunnel, but

as tree dwellers they probably preferred the Ambassador Bridge. Happy

- Collapse -
Exactly. No good guys there. Most on

both sides were scared "kids" (young adults) in ignorance of the other side. The students were attacking a situation in Vietnam and D.C. by actions in Ohio (!), while the Guardsmen were ready to use bullets instead of gas or water- both available in those pre-Taser days.

- Collapse -
(NT) I too mistrust such late submissions.
- Collapse -
Another case of 'shoot first ...' ?
- Collapse -
Looks suspicious as hell and looks like provocation

"Witnesses said at the time that an FBI informant monitoring the protest fired warning shots because he felt threatened."

"Terry Norman, a Kent State student photographing protesters that day for the FBI, was carrying a loaded .38-caliber revolver under his coat, the newspaper said.

"Norman told a reporter on the day of the shootings that he was carrying the pistol for protection because protesters had threatened his life when he photographed earlier sit-ins. He has denied firing it. The presidential commission that investigated the shootings determined that he played no role in them.

"A crew from Cleveland's WKYC-TV filmed Norman running toward guardsmen and police and being chased by two men. One of the men yelled: "Hey, stop that man! I saw him shoot someone!" The crew recorded Norman handing a gun to a police officer, saying, "The guy tried to kill me." Norman later said he was referring to an assault that happened after the Guard shootings."

Looks suspicious as hell to me, and fits with a lot of the rumour that went around at the time, that it was a fake provocation that started the gunfire. Bet the shots were blanks.

I've seen a PBS discussion of Kent State, and the Guardsmen many of whom still carry scars from the incident, tell stories that indicate they were poorly led and confused as hell. A couple of the Guardsmen were tough, we did what had to be done with those hippy scum, but most were remorseful and regretted the whole thing, and are critical of the whole political climate from the Governor on down.

Rob

CNET Forums

Forum Info