HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Kent German, cell phone reviews editor Live!

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 17, 2007 3:23 AM PDT

Ask the Editors Live! topic: Upcoming cell phones

Are you curious as to what new cell phone technology lurks in the near future? Or how about new and exciting cell phones models that are in the works or ready to be released this year?

If you're a cell phone fan, this Ask the Editors Live chat event is for you!

Our host for this event will be CNET mobile cell phone reviews editor Kent German, who will be prowling the 2007 CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment show this week for all the latest and greatest cell phone models, and all the cool and exciting new happenings in the cell phone world.

So if you have any questions about upcoming cell phones--ranging from new models or features, or just want to get the scoop on what we can expect in the near future in the cell phone world, come join us on Thursday, October 25, at 11 a.m. Pacific Time (2 p.m. Eastern) and hit up Kent with your questions. I'm sure he'll be happy to report back to you the latest cell phone low down.

Don't miss out on this live chat event!

Click here for upcoming Ask the Editors Live events and past transcripts of events.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kent German, cell phone reviews editor Live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kent German, cell phone reviews editor Live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Welcome
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 3:52 AM PDT

Hi everyone to my live chat about new cell phones from the CTIA show. I'll be here for the next hour so ask away.

Collapse -
Sprint
by papsc / October 25, 2007 4:01 AM PDT

What is happening with the sprint blackberry?

Collapse -
The Pearl
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Sprint

Sprint should have the BlackBerry Pearl very soon. Right now it offers the 8830 world edition.

Collapse -
sprint
by papsc / October 25, 2007 4:05 AM PDT

will it be featuring the new service on the cross over network? Like the IC502 currently?

Collapse -
Not dual mode
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: sprint

It won't be a CDMA/iDEN device if that's what you mean. Is that what you mean?

Collapse -
t-mobile and next gen network
by lukesandoval / October 25, 2007 4:09 AM PDT

Any news on any phones being built out for their 3G network yet?

Collapse -
Still don't know
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Google Phone
by pacvol / October 25, 2007 4:09 AM PDT

Are we ever going to see the mythical Google phone?

Collapse -
I'd be surprised
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Google Phone

Now there's a topic that consists only of rumors at this point. We may see a phone with Goggle-embedded service but I'd very surprised if Google got into the hardware business. There's no reason to do it right now, particularly for an over-saturated sector like cell phones.

Collapse -
dual mode
by papsc / October 25, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

Yes, I believe so. We have been upgrading our phones to these and have been happier with service but disappointed there are no blackberries that match it.

Collapse -
Generally speaking
by parrotech / October 25, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

What is new and exciting?

Collapse -
A few things
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Generally speaking

CTIA has been a somewhat quiet show as far as new cell phone announcements but we did see some cool things. We saw the new BlackJack II and T-Mobile showed us the Sidekick Slide. We hear T-Mobile will have a smart phone next week though we don't know for sure. The LG Venus and Voyager are both very nice. Touch screen phones are growing in number. Moto also had some new handsets a couple weeks ago. Our CTIA package has it all. http://reviews.cnet.com/CTIA

Collapse -
push to talk features
by papsc / October 25, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

Sprint is in trouble with FCC and removing all their users off of this network. ATT currently has a push to talk feature. Are any other carriers planning on coming out with this feature?

Collapse -
Yes, more have PTT
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: push to talk features

Verizon, Alltel and US Celular have push to talk. T-Mobile does not.

Collapse -
International Service
by papsc / October 25, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

Verizon's new international service on the blackberry is spotty at best. Who in the US is the most reliable or how can we research this?

Collapse -
Go with GSM
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: International Service
Collapse -
Motorola and Symbian
by daplacidone / October 25, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

Does it seem motorola will be moving most of their handsets to symbian.

Collapse -
Not so much
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Motorola and Symbian

I don't get that impression (at least in this country). They're still doing a lot of work with Windows Mobile.

Collapse -
iPhone challengers
by therealsybarite / October 25, 2007 4:18 AM PDT

with the success of the iPhone here, why are the potential challengers, like the 8GB N95 for example, so slow to arrive state side.

Collapse -
It's the carriers
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: iPhone challengers

It has a lot to do with carrier support. Carriers rule the US market and unlocked phones are not as widely used as they do in other countries. So even big companies like Nokia take their time when introducing unlocked phones here because they don't have the carrier partner to advertise and market the phone. Also, because unlocked phones like the N95 don't come with a service rebate, they're too expensive for many people.

Collapse -
Benefits of SIM cards?
by papsc / October 25, 2007 4:18 AM PDT

Some carriers use SIM cards standard, while others do not. What is the the benefit and are the new models moving away from this?

Collapse -
Many benefits
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Benefits of SIM cards?

All GSM (ST&T and T-Mobile) phones use SIM cards and will continue to do so. CDMA phones (Sprint and Verizon) do not use SIM cards. SIM cards have a couple benefits; they make it much easier to change phones and when traveling overseas you can buy a prepaid SIM for an unlocked phone that will give you local rates. This feature will give you more help. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-6785311-1.html

Collapse -
ATT Tilt
by Pollodelmar / October 25, 2007 4:18 AM PDT

This phone appears to be a sturdy business use phone. Is it for real?

Collapse -
Yes
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: ATT Tilt
Collapse -
DCR-DVD808E
by sshingre13 / October 25, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

Hi
I am Planning to buy the Sony DCR-DVD808E /DCR-DVD908E Camcorder.I was looking through cnet for the review and was not able to finf and review on this product.Can you please suggest me if the product that i am planning to buy is the right one.

Collapse -
sturdy phones
by papsc / October 25, 2007 4:26 AM PDT

one of the major uses in my firm is for miltary spec model phones... Sprint is by far the best, but the Verizon G'Zone is fast becoming the replacement of choice as we have problems with sprint's network. What other brands are introducing sturdy phones that can withstand a few drops, some water and dust?

Collapse -
Sprint has the most choices
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: sturdy phones

The G'z one is a very sturdy phone. I'm sure it could withstand almost anything. You're correct that Sprint has rules this area. Its Nextel branded phones and some Sanyo models are also sturdy. But other carriers don't seem to be following.

Collapse -
Somewhat repetitive
by vanillabryce99 / October 25, 2007 4:26 AM PDT

Sorry to ask a similar question, but do you have any guesses as to what the Blackberry 8130 for Sprint will cost? $199 with rebate? More? Less?
Also, is this something to expect before Thanksgiving or after? I feel like a pain asking questions which you've answered, I just was hoping you'd have a better educated guess on the specifics than I do.
Thanks.

Collapse -
In November
by KentGerman CNET staff / October 25, 2007 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Somewhat repetitive

The Sprint Pearl will be released next month but we don't have a specific date yet. It should cost about $199 with service.

Collapse -
Which Do You Prefer
by daplacidone / October 25, 2007 4:33 AM PDT

I prefer Symbian because of the fact that i can change the look and feel which do you prefer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.